View Full Version : My First CSS Tutorial

Rappa
11-21-2007, 04:47 AM
Please tell me what you think, i'm writing a CSS tutorial starting from the VERY BASICS, I just finished lesson 1. Tell me what you think.

Intro to CSS - Lesson 1, CSS? WTF? (http://www.imanthony.com/tutorials/introtocss/lesson1.php)

-Rappa

jcdevelopment
11-21-2007, 03:50 PM
wow, very nice, good tutorial for begginers. I like how descriptive each part is, like explaining each different letter that entails writing the code. When i first learned css as far as books or teachers, it always was confusing because they told you just what to write, and not what any of it meant to an extent. Good job Anthony

ConnorMHB
11-21-2007, 04:46 PM
you did an incredible job with this tutorial. it is very, very well explained. although, i did find a few typos or grammatical errors in the first few parts:

"You are already familiar with clothing styles, music styles, hair styles, ect."

"A style sheet seperates formatting of the document from the content of the document."

effpeetee
11-21-2007, 07:18 PM
I have added you to my list of sites at

http://www.exitfegs.co.uk/Sources.html

I'll remove it if you don't want it there. It's a very useful site and I will make good use of it myself. Any alterations to the title line that you want. Let me know. (You can PM me if you like.)

Frank

Rappa
11-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Wow thanks guys, I wasnt expecting such amazing responses. Thanks for everything. It makes me want to continue. And yeah I know i'm not the best speller. But thanks for the corrections.

And thanks for adding me to your list of sources! The links fine.

-Rappa

jlhaslip
11-22-2007, 03:30 AM
Nice job.
I look forward to seeing more tutorials written in your very clear and easy to understand style.

Spelling:
There are two rules reguarding specificity, but they will be discussed in a later tutorial.
delete the red 'u'

Rappa
11-22-2007, 03:39 AM
haha thanks, and im working on lesson 2 right now.

DakotaChick
11-22-2007, 04:32 AM
Very nice tutorial!

Noticed a typo tho :

Inheritance
You inherited certain physical traits from your parents.
In CSS, selectors keep their traits ultil you style them differently.

Rappa
11-22-2007, 04:42 AM
thanks!

Rappa
11-22-2007, 05:11 AM
My tutorial on font properties is finished.

http://www.imanthony.com/tutorials/introtocss/lesson2.php

please tell me what you think and inform me of any spelling errors, thanks!

srule_
11-22-2007, 06:17 AM
Nice Tutorials,

It would be nice if at the end of each tutorial you gave an assignment or two. This way readers of your tutorials will have some questions to practice applying there newly a queried knowledge on CSS.

Rappa
11-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Your right, im sure i can find a free quiz script or somthing off javascript.internet.com. I think that would be a good idea.

Donkey
11-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Nicely laid out.

Two comments
1) I think you are a tad dismissive of using percentages for sizing text (what about liquid layouts?) I don't find percentages at all confusing.

2) You use point sizes for sizing text which is contrary to the generally accepted view that points should only be used for print stylesheets, and it is better to use ems or percentages for screen stylesheets. Ems and percentages facilitate text resizing and make your pages more accessible.

rmedek
11-22-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm going to move this to Site Reviews, where I think it's more appropriate.

Rappa
11-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Alright well i validated like 100 something errors and I cant get the rest to work so they'll have to wait for later. But thats ok, no site is perfect.

Apostropartheid
11-22-2007, 06:27 PM
Please just run it through a spellchecker instead of this lot bugging you about it, lol.

Depends on what you mean by perfection.

Anyway, I agree that you really shouldn't slag off percentages so much. You contradicted yourself anyway. "90% of what?" -- so 1em of what, then?

I'm gonna take a wild shot and say that you're running amok with lists, imo. Some of those look like they should be proper paragraphs. You also haven't marked up your code with the <code> tag, although you probably could be forgiven.

My last complaint is the lists in IE. There's what appears like a line-break in between nested lists. Yay.

But all in all, it's a fantastic tutorial, nice and step-by-step. Pity it's too late for me. :'(

Rappa
11-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Alright you guys won me over, the percentages thing was just my opinion. I removed the opinionated part and kept the code part. And thanks for all the help and suggestions guys, appreciate it. Its my first tutorial ever, glad some people like it.

And yes I'm very list happy, only because it makes it easier for me to write, and its easier to read. Maybe as my tutorial progresses i'll get a little more creative, but for now i'm gonna add a quiz at the end of each one. And some other stuff.

Also if you guys have any suggestions at all i'd be happy to listen.

-Rappa

Donkey
11-22-2007, 07:53 PM
I still think you are too heavy on points. IMHO you should make it clear that points are best used on print style sheets while percentages and Ems are best used on screen style sheets.

Rappa
11-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Yeah good call, Where exactly in the tutorial do you want me to add this if I might ask. I dont want to put it in the wrong spot. You can tell me to remove content also.

harbingerOTV
11-28-2007, 12:56 AM
on your tut's page the one for Fonts, whats the * before Margin and Line-height? the * coming before an item usually denotes a placeholder of sorts.

It also appears that where you have line-height (regardless of the property) you don't have a unit eg: line-height: 2.0;

your missing a ol here or have empty ones:

Same Font, But Different Names

1. PC/Microsoft
* Arial
* Times New Roman
3. Apple
* Helvetica or Swiss
* Dutch

and with that, you might use Times as the Mac default for Times New Roman
http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html

and this is not quite right:

p {
font: 14pt/28pt bold;
margin: 0; }

the order is weight, size, line-height, family

browsers dont apply the weight like you have it and without a family at the end either.

writing a css tutorial (since there is so much involved that we may forget to actually remember as we do it all the time) but good job so far.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum