View Full Version : Advanced & OO PHP Book Recommendations

johnnyb
11-16-2007, 07:46 AM
I'm looking for a book recommendation to advance my knowledge of PHP.

Where I am: I'm pretty proficient with PHP, working with databases, and so on. I can create fully functional websites, custom CMSs and so on. However, I would like my code to be more modular, easier to maintain, and generally "better."

I'm not very good with object-oriented PHP at all, and I would like a book that can get me on that path, as I think it's the way to go, (correct me if I'm wrong), and generally get me thinking about advanced and/or different PHP techniques.

I've read that Larry Ullman is a good author. Is this true for what I am looking for, or are his books more like "LAMP for Dummies" -type books?

I've always just used the PHP manual to figure things out, but I want to advance my coding. I'm not looking for a reference manual of functions and stuff - I'm looking for techniques and ideas.

Thanks in advance!

John

GJay
11-16-2007, 08:55 AM
"PHP in Action: Objects, Design, Agility" and "PHP 5 Objects, Patterns, and Practice" are a couple that I've come across (but don't own) that look good, if you can find them in a 'real' shop go have a flick-through.

johnnyb
11-16-2007, 04:54 PM
I will try to track them down. We have a large bookstore in Montreal that seems to have more current computer/internet books than many shops. Thanks a lot!

aedrin
11-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Rather than have someone tell me what they find their most efficient solution, I try to create my own.

There are various articles out there on the internet that provide some hints toward a valid path. You then extrapolate that further.

Take a look at some of the frameworks out there (Cake PHP for example) and besides all the bloat, you'll notice there is a skeleton in there that just begs to be recreated in a lean setting.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum