View Full Version : Please review my site.

11-10-2007, 10:12 PM
I Started working on this last year, stopped for a long time, and just recently restarted.

I think it's coming out pretty good so far.

I'm Anthony (http://www.imanthony.com)

Please take a look at the tutorial section for some very in depth tutorials about PHP, JSP, Javascript, ASP, and Perl made by some of the masters of their time. They are converted CHM files made from books altered to suit the web, I thought some people might appreciated them. I have many more to put up when I get to it. I also have hundreds of scripts to put up made by me and others. The downloads section isn't finished, I don't even think i'm keeping it.

A lot of the pages aren't finished.

I hope you like what i've done so far and look foward to hearing your suggestions, comments, and criticisms.

11-10-2007, 10:20 PM
The Next Generation of Internet Superiority overlaps navigation

Hope you do not into legal trouble for posting books onto the web
Nice site and will use the books edit:// AMAZING SITE

11-10-2007, 10:20 PM
love the design, especially the black links. Would try and get it valid though (http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.imanthony.com%2Ftools%2F)

11-10-2007, 10:24 PM
This could be a fantastic resource. It's lovely. I'd like to see the Scripts page when it's updated.

11-11-2007, 04:18 AM
in what browser do i have overlapping? not in ie7 or ff2 for me. and as for the errors, i can deal with 7 for now.

And thanks for the suggestions/ect

11-11-2007, 05:33 AM
Looks good,

I would like to know where you are gettining all the content?

11-11-2007, 06:02 AM
Tools I made
Scripts I made/Got off internet
Tutorials given to me
Downloads given to me

11-11-2007, 04:56 PM
It was on my dads computer. He has a wide screen, (22"). I was using FF.
Looks fine on my computer.

Get the submit button working and perhaps add comments or a small small forum.
Anther thing for the books. add a print feature so when someone is at school or work they can print out a whole book.

11-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Yeah ive sort of just been doing minor things that arent noticeable yet, instead of a print button, how about the downloadable CHM file? Because theres a print feature built into those, for the whole document, or just from page x to page y.

Yeah but then they wont need my site :(

11-11-2007, 06:38 PM
This script (http://www.imanthony.com/scripts/php/phpranimage.php) has a few errors. And instead of making a string and exploding it you could just make an array to begin with. Then use array_rand() (http://php.net/array_rand) and/or rand() (http://php.net/rand) to generate a random key. I think twodayslate is right about the books though. Posting them to your website is almost definitely a copyright infringement. The overall design is nice and simple though. :thumbsup:

11-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Yeah thanks, and your probably right about that aswell, ill see what i can do, but take them down for now.

11-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Yeah but then they wont need my site :(
Thats why you have forums or comments to provide support.

Lets say chapter one consists of a guide on tables. You should make little projects people could do with the things they just learned?

11-12-2007, 07:07 AM
I think your layout is good, and that's been established. Now what I think is necessary is to finish of the construction pages and then the major task...SEO. You can really beef up your pages with keywords so people can find your site, and work on your page titles and descriptions. If you want links to tutorials, I would have to get on my other computer, but the basics would be picking some keywords and getting them in your site, in alt tags, in links, and getting others to link to you.

11-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Nice page.

Coming from a mac/iphone world though your bullets on the left almost look like empty checkboxes. Probably wouldn't be a terrible thing to alter that a bit so that there's no confusion.

11-14-2007, 07:26 AM
Nice site. I checked 5 pages for validation errors.

Only 1 passed, the Home page. All the rest had just a handful of errors. Mostly the script pages and the usage terms page. I didn't check any others.

1.) For your code snippet of the week. I suggest making sure that it has good detailed instructions on how to use it. Most of your traffic will be people who don't know how to write their own code. Thus they probably don't know how to implement the code either. Better instructions will warrant a better chance of return traffic if they know that they will be able to follow step by step instruction on how to get it working.

2.) Code feedback/comments. I think this is almost a must. I almost never utilize code that hasn't already been through the ringer as far as testing. Provide a simple comment box that displays below each script page will help new visitors validate your coding expertise and value without having to go through the trouble of trial and error on their own. If they see 10 people leave a comment that says "great script" "awesome code" etc. I guarantee they will be more likely to download/revisit.

3.) Ditto on the above comment about the empty check boxes. Try as I may, I never could get the check mark to show no matter how hard I pressed my mouse.:D I like the look of them just not the inactive use of them. For some reason I really want them to do something, anything. Try a simple hover that replaces the empty check box with a check box with a fat green check mark in it.

all for now,

11-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the reply, I think the check marks a good idea, i'll add that to my list of things to do.

11-15-2007, 12:40 AM
Well I did the bullet rollovers and all the accessory pages, now up to the comments.

Please tell me what you think so far.

11-15-2007, 03:59 AM
Well I did the bullet rollovers and all the accessory pages, now up to the comments.

Please tell me what you think so far.

I am glad your making an attempt at adding a hover effect. I think in the end this will go nicely with your site.

The only thing I don't like is the fact that the first image looks 3-D:thumbsup: and then on hover the red seems to have no depth to it:( . Its more 2-D.

Any way to shade, shadow, or bevel the on hover red color.

11-17-2007, 12:55 AM
Don't like the hover effect on the nav. the red is too red.

11-17-2007, 04:11 AM
yeah i didnt like it much either, got rid of it. added a few tools, added comments.

11-17-2007, 11:19 PM
Though I didn't like the red hover you had I still think you shouldn't give up on some kind of hover effect.

So I thought I would throw an idea your way. Its a fireworks png so you can download and look at it if you like.

Just an idea.

About your improvements:

You added comments:thumbsup: My only suggestion would be to make the comment section appear more separate from your different tools. For instance when I was looking at the SSN tool I punched in some random nine digit number to see what it would do and I almost pressed the "Submit" button for the comments instead of the "Check SSN" just to the right of it. I am thinking maybe a 1 pixel red border around your comments so it doesn't mingle with the rest of the page so easily.

Oh and I like your mortgages calculator. I would really like to see one that shows an amortization table similar to the one on bankrate. The bankrate one is nice but often times its slow or hangs.

11-18-2007, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the bullet, but the spacing around it is really tempermental, so ill have to work with it to get it to fit just right. Thx for the suggestions ill try to improve the comments section later. Glad you like the tools, im working on some right now, but i think ill hold off on finishing them until i get some tutorials and other stuff done.

EDIT: Got it to fit, looks pretty good, thanks a lot. See if you like it.