View Full Version : asp VS asp.net

sasha85
11-07-2007, 01:10 AM
someone can please tell me why people do not like classic asp? what is so better with .net?

SouthwaterDave
11-07-2007, 09:39 PM
Excellent question. I'd love to here other people's thoughts on this too.

Here are a few of my thoughts:

ASP.NET is the next generation of Microsoft server-side development technologies so I guess it is likely to last the longer of the two.
ASP.NET is designed to be more secure and it offers more facilities to help the developer with security. This ranges from form validation to logon controls and role membership.
ASP.NET code is compiled although this occurs behind the scenes so the developer does not have to compile anything to make this happen. The result is much faster code.
Databinding has been introduced. You can develop a web page that outputs data from a table, allows a user to edit or delete rows, allows the user to sort the data or page through the data without writing a line of code. All you need is HTML with web controls (that look like HTML tags with a lot of attributes). Web controls do come at a cost in terms of performance. If performance is critical you can still recert to the ASP model using the Response and Request objects.
I can remember writing configuration scripts to secure parts of ASP-based web sites but ASP.NET has text-based XML configuration files. Values can be encrypted too, for better security from hackers.
Protection against SQL-injection attacks comes built into ASP.NET....etc., etc...

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum