View Full Version : Ethical VS unethical SEO

srule_
11-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Hello,

Over the past few days I have been reading up on seo. doing so I have learned about the Black(bad) ways, and white(good ways) to work SEO into a web page.

My question is that I have a web site in which my main header text is an image because it is a logo with non standard text in it. Is it considered bad SEO practice if I hide the text behind the image so that search engines can still read the main header of my page? I did add an alt tag to the image but this does not have nearly as much wait as an h1 tag. I want to do this because it has my keywords in it, at the same time i don't want the search engine to penalize me.

Normal I would not do stuff like this, but it seems to be appropriate in this situation.

Your thoughts?

abduraooft
11-03-2007, 02:31 PM
How about putting the image inside <h1> and then give an alt atribute ?
And have a look at Google's Webmaster Help Center (http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=66353)

gnomeontherun
11-03-2007, 06:18 PM
I would not do that for two reasons: 1) if the image doesn't load your site will look funny 2) Its my understanding of black hat SEO techniques that you would be crossing into that realm. I like the suggestion of abduraooft, or else to play fair try to get your keywords in the page using very creative copywriting.

Pennimus
11-04-2007, 01:57 AM
Look into CSS image replacement to serve images to those user agents with images enabled and text to those without.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum