View Full Version : What is a Portal?

11-03-2007, 02:07 AM
I've been wondering for a few days now, since I keep hearing talk about it I'd like to know what it really is.

I know its got something to do with like a chat system or something but can't seem to get a clear view on what it really is.

Thanks for the help guys.

11-03-2007, 02:24 AM
Reading about history of internet is more fun than reading about history of the world. In latter you can't be sure it happend unlike in (word missing) :) (opposite of latter)

11-03-2007, 02:34 AM
Thanks, That helps me out a bit. :)

I'll continue to read this article and sum up what I'm looking for.

11-03-2007, 02:36 AM
Well, just use google for most of the stuff you need, it's your best guide. When you stumble upon questions that you can't find answers for, than .. (well most of the time that never happens :D)

11-03-2007, 02:39 AM
I did googled it first in hopes of finding a good article on it, nothing really interesting caught my eyes. The wiki article didn't show and wiki's existence totally blew over my head :P

11-03-2007, 02:45 AM
portals are.. umm.. for newbs.
people go to portals (well at least in my country) to read news instead of buying newspaper. if you want to be "geek" then subscribe to popular rss feeds from slashdot, sageblog, yahoofeeds, bbc scientists or more.
i'm sure that when people wake up (since it's about 3am here and i'm going to sleep) you'll get even more information on how to "get up to speed" on such stuff. i'm just happy and drunk making people laugh on forums i visit often :D

11-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Web access point. A portal consists of web pages that act as a starting point for using the Web or web-based services. The word was first used to describe the sites of popular Internet access providers or search engines such as AOL, MSN and Yahoo! Later on, it was extended into the world of work, where a corporate portal or enterprise information portal acts as a starting point for employees or associates of an organization to access corporate information and applications. Portal software has become a distinct class of web server software that acts as a platform for deploying portals. An OASIS standard, Web Services for Remote Portlets (WSRP), aims to make it easier to automatically include services in portals.

11-03-2007, 11:26 AM
(opposite of latter)

I guess you are looking for “former”?
former – latter