View Full Version : What is your setup for web design?

ghostz00
10-25-2007, 06:53 AM
I'm getting ready to start one of my most ambitious web design projects to date and I'm curious on how you guys are setup for web design.

I have two computers setup with two monitors and share one keyboard and mouse using synergy (http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/). One computer has ubuntu installed on it with quanta+ for editing. The other computer has vista, with photoshop. It also has virtualbox with some outdated operating systems to check old browsers compatibility. I also have a development server setup with the basics, apache,php,mysql etc....

I'm thinking about using subversion for the first time as this will be my first project with other developers. I'm just not sure how I want to set it up?

Right now I just save my files directly to the dev server over the lan(mounting it in ubuntu, and mapping network drive on windows). It's really simple and easy to update my files this way. And I was wondering how I would set up subversion's working folder. I was thinking of leaving it on the dev server. That sounds the easiest, at least in my mind it does.

Any thoughts?

mlseim
10-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Greg ... you need to get out more.

ghostz00
10-25-2007, 07:03 PM
....at least you could have said how your setup is for web design....or what your thoughts are for subversion...thanks for the help....

oracleguy
10-25-2007, 07:27 PM
One way is to just set your web server's root to the subversion working directory. That way it will also be running the head revision. So then for people to see their changes, they'd have to check in.

However this could lead to an excessive number of check-ins but more importantly a lot of people doing the web development equivalent of breaking the build if they don't have their own web server to test on first.

mlseim
10-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Greg, sorry ... I was in a goofy mood this morning.

What you're doing is way over my head.

ghostz00
10-26-2007, 01:23 AM
So it would probably be better if everyone had a local dev server (which I think they do)? And then just have the repository on one of them.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum