View Full Version : www.example.com doesn't work but example.com does

10-21-2007, 11:40 PM
as the title says, i've recently set up a domain and www.example.com will not work. i cannot figure out why. i've tried making a www folder though my ftp client, making a www subdomain through me server, editing the .htaccess file for a 301 redirect to example.com but nothing works. any ideas?

10-22-2007, 12:03 AM
You need a DNS host name (A) record for either just www or www.example.com, depending on your hosting control panel/DNS server, that points to the IP address of your domain. Your hosting company should have a FAQ indicating what form of this is needed.

You apparently have an A record that resolves requests for example.com to the IP address, but when a request for www.example.com is received, the DNS server does not have a record telling it what IP address that corresponds to.

If have already done the above and you happen to have HELM for your control panel, it has a habit of not actually making the settings it shows. Remove and re-add the DNS record. You can also check at www.dnsstuff.com to see what your actual records are.