View Full Version : Modifying the structure of the "Paid Work Offers" forum?

WA
10-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Hi guys:
I've been looking to modify the set up of the Paid Work Offers forum (http://www.codingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36) forum one way or the other for a while now, and now's a good a time as any. What do you guys think about breaking it up into smaller categories based on cost, such as:

1) Very small projects (<$30)
2) Small projects (<$100)
3) Medium projects ($100 to $500)
4) Larger projects ($500 and above)
5) Looking to hire or get hired

I realize for a forum that's rather quiet in terms of traffic, it may be overkill to break it up further, but right now it just seems very cluttered. I may also be looking for another mod to give bcarl314 (http://www.codingforums.com/member.php?u=241) a helping hand in keeping everything in order, if anyone's interested.

Spookster
10-18-2007, 02:27 PM
We have a paid work offers forum?

PappaJohn
10-18-2007, 03:56 PM
What about those who have no idea what a project would be worth (we get a few of them).

Maybe "Request for Bid"

WA
10-18-2007, 11:00 PM
We have a paid work offers forum?

We sure do!

vinyl-junkie
10-20-2007, 05:29 PM
How about changing it so that the thread title lists a price range or bid in the title? For example:

[$100 to $500] Project A
[bid] Project B
[looking to hire] Company C

That would make it easier for people to comb through the posts, without necessitating the establishment of new sub-forum(s). You could also see visually when a particular category was getting large enough to justify having its own sub-forum.

Aradon
10-20-2007, 06:25 PM
How about changing it so that the thread title lists a price range or bid in the title? For example:

[$100 to $500] Project A
[bid] Project B

That would make it easier for people to comb through the posts, without necessitating the establishment of new sub-forum(s). You could also see visually when a particular category was getting large enough to justify having its own sub-forum.

If you did something like that, then you would have to make it a required option when creating the post. I mean, how many people in Computer Programming actually list the language they are using in the topic even though we suggest that they do?

WA
10-21-2007, 10:07 AM

[$100 to $500] Project A
[bid] Project B

This could work for the short term, but ultimately, I think it's still better just to break things up into separate categories...

bcarl314
10-22-2007, 10:53 PM
I'm not sure if I like the idea of having a "small" projects and a "micro" projects separation. I'd think something akin to the following would suffice...

1) Small projects (i.e. less than $100)
2) Quick projects (i.e. $100 - $1,000)
3) Large / Enterprise projects (i.e. over $1,000)
4) Maintenance projects / Paid positions - ongoing hourly work / employment opps
5) Developer "connection" - where people can post their resume, portfolios, and availability
6) Job advice

WA
10-23-2007, 10:29 AM
I see your logic bcarl314, though is it realistic enough though? I mean, your breakdown is a quintessential one as far as what constitutes a small, medium, and large project. But based on the type of posts that currently gets posted on CF's work offers/request forums, does it reflect their mindset?

bcarl314
10-24-2007, 04:32 PM
I guess I see a lot of projects in the $20 - $50 range, then there's usually a jump to the $150 - $300 range, and again a vary significant jump to $1000 + range with very little in the gaps in between (i.e. not many people posting for a $70 or $600 project). So I think the categories 0-100, 100 - 1000 and 1000+ would fit nicely.

I think it we made a $30 or less "micro" project forum, we'd end up getting people who are willing to pay a little more than 30 posting in that forum. Because I think if you've got $25 to spend, more than likely you're going to be able to come up with $35. Whereas $100 is a psychological barrier as is $1000.

Just my 2 cents, well, inflation adjusted it's more like 4.2 cents, but whatever ;)

bcarl314
10-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Not to mention, what is the CF community going to look at more? If there's a <$30 and a $30 - $100, I have a feeling that the <$30 will get ignored.

WA
10-30-2007, 06:44 AM
Ok, I've just reorganized the Web Projects forums (http://www.codingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47), mainly using bcarl314's suggestions. Members starting a new thread in any one of the "XX size Projects" categories will now be presented with a template to fill out. Hopefully this will guide people somewhat in providing the necessary details when looking for paid help.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum