View Full Version : PNG or GIF for background image?

moss2076
10-17-2007, 07:45 PM
I have designed my header with gifs, but have one particular UL which requires an overlap of images. The images go out-of-line with each other when the browser text size is altered so to get around the overlap I have used a PNG for the UL with a transparent background.

My question is - are PNGs ok to use in websites and do all browsers support them or not?

vtjustinb
10-17-2007, 07:50 PM
PNGs are fine although IE6 and below does not render its alpha channel so you can't have transparent gifs (without using one of the many work-around hacks you can find by googling "transparent png ie"). I typically use pngs exclusively, and often with transparency effects, and simply provide an acceptable alternative gif for IE users in lew of hacks.

moss2076
10-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks for that, I will have a look into a IE 6 and below hack.

Is it still really worth designing for IE6 and below would you think? I ask because I seem to be spending most of my time making my code work also for older browsers - even when IE7 and other latest versions of FF etc display fine.

vtjustinb
10-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Thanks for that, I will have a look into a IE 6 and below hack.

Is it still really worth designing for IE6 and below would you think? I ask because I seem to be spending most of my time making my code work also for older browsers - even when IE7 and other latest versions of FF etc display fine.

'fraid so:

Browser Statistics for Sept, 2007
Fx - 35.4%
IE6 - 34.9%
IE7 - 20.8%
Safari - 1.6%
IE5 - 1.5%
O - 1.5%
Moz - 1.2%

That's only one sample, but there's still plenty of people using IE6. I think the thing you should approach the site is just coding it for FF, and then seeing if anything is horribly broken in IE6. There's nothing wrong with taking a MOSe approach and not worrying if your site doesn't look as good in IE6, so long as the content is still accessible.

CaptainB
10-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Design for IE6 and up. A lot of people are still using IE6, including me.

moss2076
10-17-2007, 09:11 PM
thanks for your help guys, I have been using Browsershots to design from IE5.5 up and it has only been IE5.5 and IE6 that have given me any problems so far. I havent started checking the Linux browsers yet...

vtjustinb
10-17-2007, 09:14 PM
thanks for your help guys, I have been using Browsershots to design from IE5.5 up and it has only been IE5.5 and IE6 that have given me any problems so far. I havent started checking the Linux browsers yet...

I wouldn't worry about Linux, konquerer does a decent job at rendering and honestly most of them use FF anyway.

Also, I don't develop for IE5.5 anymore.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum