View Full Version : form validation Greater than not a number

dude9er
10-10-2007, 06:20 AM
I am trying to validate the value of one text box to the value of another. The text box hold a number and I want it to check if it is greater than the value of another number (this number is dynamic depending on the page loaded)

dim InputError,Reason
InputError=0

If Len(inventory) > Len(allocation) Then
Reason = "<strong>ERROR:</strong> inventory can not be greater than allocation!!"
InputError=InputError+1
end if
if InputError = 0 then

rsUpdateEntry.Update

As you can see I'm trying to get the inventory value=5 to check if it is greater that the allocation value=4, if it is, return error message.

This is not working, does anyone know how to validate the values of two fields that will who's values will change dependent upon the page loaded?

Spudhead
10-10-2007, 11:46 AM
The variables inventory and allocation are the values you're getting from your form?

They're numbers?

If so, stop using Len(). Len() (http://www.devguru.com/technologies/vbscript/13947.asp)returns the number of characters in a string. What you want to do is:

if cInt(inventory) > cInt(allocation) then
' the integer value of inventory is greater than the integer value of allocation and you need to throw an error
end if

miranda
10-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Or you may want to use

CLng(inventory) > CLng(allocation)

depending on the value of the number since CInt is limited to numbers between -32768 and 32767

angst
10-11-2007, 04:49 PM
I would also check that correct INT values exist before comparing, this will help to avoid casting errors

dude9er
10-11-2007, 08:58 PM
I am having problems with using asp because I am using this

Set rsHotelblock = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

to pull the value

AND THIS

Set rsUpdateEntry = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

to update the same value. I can't seem to connect (Set rsHotelblock), run the validation without closing and then reopen connection when it errors.

Spudhead
10-12-2007, 10:06 AM
We probably need to see your full code. But as a rule of thumb - don't use recordsets to do UPDATEs. Just build a SQL statement and get the connection to execute it.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum