View Full Version : CSS scrollbar code, won't work in FF, can it be fixed?

Natalie79
10-09-2007, 09:16 AM
I found this code here on codingforums, and used it for a CSSheet:
body{
SCROLLBAR-FACE-COLOR: white;
SCROLLBAR-HIGHLIGHT-COLOR: white;
SCROLLBAR-SHADOW-COLOR: #BFB8A6;
SCROLLBAR-3DLIGHT-COLOR: #BFB8A6;
SCROLLBAR-ARROW-COLOR: #AB9A74;
SCROLLBAR-TRACK-COLOR: white;
SCROLLBAR-DARKSHADOW-COLOR: #f9faf4;
}

It works fine in IE, but not in Firefox. The scrollbar simply vanishes. I've searched the net and even here and can't find what the trick is... or it it that nothing can be done about it?
thanks.
Nat

rmedek
10-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Hi Natalie,

That code only works in IE. Other browsers don't let you modify the appearance of the scrollbars; the main reasoning behind this is the scrollbars are a visual function of the operating system, not the website.

_peter_
10-09-2007, 09:31 AM
you can write your own custom scrollers if it is for some area on page. otherwise yes this only works under IE as these css properties are proprietary

Natalie79
10-09-2007, 11:04 AM
you can write your own custom scrollers if it is for some area on page. otherwise yes this only works under IE as these css properties are proprietary

Peter, what do you mean by customizing my own scrollers for an 'area' on the page, do you mean for example if I use an Inframe? though i doubt that's what you meant. I guess an Iframe is the same as the open window and won't malke a difference.

I'm sorry to hear that the bar is not customizable; it is NOT a big deal as long as a site functions as it should, but since I do care for the overall look of a site, i'm bummed. :(

Thanks for the replies, guys.

_peter_
10-09-2007, 12:30 PM
i meant using javascript to create your own scrollers
like so:
http://www.hesido.com/web.php?page=customscrollbar

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum