View Full Version : Database management program - C++?

mike_tw
10-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Hi,

I've been using access to manage a database. It works ok, but I would much prefer if it were a stand alone program which I could customise to the company in question. I dont like having to load access all the time.

MY question is, can C++ manage a database, I need to be able to delete , update and add records for example.

Im fairly good with PHP and MySQL, but i've never attempted to build a program from scratch using languages like C++. Is C++ the language for me to do this ?

Access works great but it doesnt look professional to me. I'd much rather have a a custom built application interfacing with my database.

Any advice will be really appreciated!

Mwnciau
10-07-2007, 03:04 PM
If you're fairly good at PHP and MYSQL I would recommend using that to manage the database, and the interface can be designed in HTML. C++ can manage a database just as well as PHP and MYSQL, but it would probably be more complicated.

mike_tw
10-07-2007, 04:11 PM
I'd rather not make it web based. I also want the experience of building a desktop application

Diolch ;)

marek_mar
10-07-2007, 05:08 PM
MY question is, can C++ manage a database, I need to be able to delete , update and add records for example.

Guess what language is used to write databases? It is C/C++. MySQL releases a C library that is the MySQL client (There is a C++ one available as well). PHP uses that library to connect to MySQL servers.
You could also use some application frameworks that support database access (Qt, wxWidgets).

oracleguy
10-07-2007, 08:10 PM
MySql++ is a good C++ wrapper library for the MySQL C API.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum