View Full Version : Mystery margin - seriously can't locate

10-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Hi all.

On this page:

(sorry about the southside ad - I can't remove it but I assure you I am not spamming that bank)

Between the "Listen Live" section and the top of the scoring table (southside ad sit in top row of table) there is about 100px gap that I can not for the life of me find the cause/source of.

Using the web dev tools I have disabled all styles and its still there. Viewing the source shows a column of <br> (not even the xhtml tags I use) causing the gap but what is causing the rogue break tags?!

Any ideas as I am stumped on this one.

css file is here:

There is also a small section of block styles in head of page.

10-06-2007, 12:38 PM
<br class="clear"/>
<table class="scores" ??

10-06-2007, 01:35 PM

The thing is that those break tags are not in the html document. That's the problem ... where are they coming from?

I'm attaching the document, as a .txt file, so you can see pre parsing.

10-06-2007, 06:17 PM
I would validate your code and fix the errors. you only have 8 but it might help. one of the errors was a <br /> after a </tr> on line 453. there's also a few others in the code too. I would clean that up and see if that doesn't help.

http://validator.w3.org/ the site is very slow right now...

10-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Excellent call! Turns out there were 5 of those errant break tags within the tr tags - just the amount that were being inserted above the table. Fascinating behavior on the part of the browser to insert them there, albeit I failed in my task of telling it where they should go! ;)

The "paste" shortcut is very, very close to the "break" shortcut and my fingers are clumsy apparently.

Thanks so much for the keen eye, ghostz00!

I've also validated the page as well.