View Full Version : HTML + XML Site Map ???

mark4man
09-30-2007, 10:51 PM
People...

In reading over requirements for site submission to a major search engine, it was strongly suggested that an XML Site Map be created & submitted (as opposed the site itself.) Does anyone know how this works? Is this something that can be coded into a typical html page? Is it the same as the links to Site Maps seen on various home pages around the web? Is it a separate page, coded in XML?

Thanks,

mark4man

_Aerospace_Eng_
09-30-2007, 11:12 PM
I use this for search engine site map submissions. It creates a sitemap for you and allows you to download it and submit it to a search engine.

http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/

mark4man
10-03-2007, 12:56 AM
Aerospace...

Thanks very much!!!

So then...submit just the xml sitemap...& nothing more?

Now...in what form...upload it to my server as it's own page? & what is it supposed to be titled as:

Thanks again,

mark4man

Antoniohawk
10-03-2007, 04:06 AM
From the site that Aerospace linked you to.

Go to your Google Webmaster account and add your sitemap URL.
That's the only file that you should need and it'll be on your server as it's own page.

The name of the file shouldn't matter. For some more information, this Wikipedia article is good. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitemaps

mark4man
10-03-2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks very much.

mark4man

mark4man
10-27-2007, 12:21 AM
_Aerospace_Eng_ & Antoniohawk...

One last question before I do this:

I noticed at the top of the document (the xml sitemap) that there is a url set, which is based on the site generating the sitemap (in this case...sitemaps.org.)

How does that figure into what gets displayed after the spiders catalog the site for the search engine? In other words...that info doesn't show up anywhere in search results, does it?

Can that url set be changed to generic-based info (i.e., not mentioning who generated the sitemap)?

Thanks,

mark4man

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum