View Full Version : Validation

09-24-2007, 12:20 AM
Does anybody have any idea how I could get users to validate themselves as real people, while preserving their anonymity. I had the idea they could use a credit/debit card(without a sale). Two problems there. People have more than one card. People might think I'm phishing for their details.

09-24-2007, 06:52 AM
You can use a test prompt like an image with text that must be entered into the box. Lots of sites use this technique.

http://codingforums.com/archive/index.php?t-73869.html - example with PHP

09-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks mate, but that's not what I was after.
I want my users to remain anonymous. I want to collect no personal identifying info, not even email addresses. I want to stop multiple registrations by the same person, remembering of course that many people from the same address might use one computer.
I want a person registering themselves, to be able to prove they are a real person, from a real address, but without having to provide me with any personal info.
I don't think it can be done, the best I could come up with was the credit card idea, where they would be validated by the card company but would then not purchase anything but be passed to registration.

09-24-2007, 06:34 PM
Without collecting any specific information on someone, you can't exactly prevent one person from registering more than once. You would have no information to check against.