View Full Version : Adding search bar

wsammy
09-23-2007, 08:43 PM
Hi Does anyone know how to add a search bar to your page.
Preferably not one of thoses ones that links to google, yahoo etc...
Thanx:thumbsup:

gnomeontherun
09-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Far as I know, unless you have a website that has its content stored dynamically (aka database), you can't really add a search bar without sending the query through a search engine.

Reason: unless you have some type of database of your own data, you cannot search it - yahoo or google have a database of your data so you can use them to search.

If you have a database, let me know more about it and your programming language.

wsammy
09-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Far as I know, unless you have a website that has its content stored dynamically (aka database), you can't really add a search bar without sending the query through a search engine.

Reason: unless you have some type of database of your own data, you cannot search it - yahoo or google have a database of your data so you can use them to search.

If you have a database, let me know more about it and your programming language.

Thanks,

Do you know how i can get one through a search engine.

Or how I can get a database.:)

gnomeontherun
09-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Google: http://www.google.com/coop/cse/?utm_source=webmaster_central&utm_medium=et&utm_campaign=en

To get a database, you would need to develop some type of content management system or use a premade one like joomla. Do you have a site already?

wsammy
09-23-2007, 09:10 PM
Do you have a site already?

Yeah i have a site but I have not ftp'd it onto the net yet.

gnomeontherun
09-23-2007, 09:19 PM
If it is a simple site (meaning you plan on being able to edit it all directly) then the Google search bar would be the smartest idea that I know. If you already have the site ready, then I doubt you would want to switch over to a CMS.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum