View Full Version : meta tags for SEO : help!

billy_bass26
09-20-2007, 04:56 PM
i have just created a new site www.linux-hub.org and it has been crawled by google, however when i try searching by entering the keywords into google i get nothing! :confused: any good with meta tags???

Cheers,
billy_bass26

rmedek
09-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Meta tags are just about useless for keyword recognition. As far as I know, the <meta name="keywords"> is completely ignored in everything except for AltaVista.

Create better content, use semantic layout, get a bigger pageranking SEO is not an overnight process.

VIPStephan
09-20-2007, 07:29 PM
[] SEO is not an overnight process.

In fact, Google may need a month or longer to index your website.

ScottInTexas
09-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Also, your ranking with Google is higher based on how long it is registered for. If you register your site for ten years you'll be high on the list. Another way to increase ranking is based on the number of times your name appears in the body of the document.

felgall
09-20-2007, 09:49 PM
That's how long your site has been registered for already not how long into the future you register for. A site first registered in 1997 that has one month left before it is due to be renewed will rank higher than equivalent content on a site registered in 2006 with over nine years to go before the domain needs to be renewed (everything else being equal).

Placing your name more times into the page will only increase the rank of the page for people searching for your name. Also adding it too many times will have an adverse effect.

gnomeontherun
09-20-2007, 11:32 PM
You will still want to use the meta tags, and include keywords in the title tag.

It appears you are using OSCommerce, or something similar, and an SEO technique could be to create a splash page outside of the commerce site. That way you have full control over the pages code, and can reduce the amount of code that is excess. Getting rid of the unnecessary junk code and using web standard markup will help that page get indexed higher, especially if you beef it up with keywords (but not too much or it will be spamming!)

billy_bass26
09-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions. Most appreciated!
Billy

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum