View Full Version : A Must Have For CSS Coders!

ahallicks
09-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Not sure if anyone has heard of or used this yet, but I've just been informed it exists and thought I'd share the newest revolution in easy to edit CSS! You may have heard of EditCSS, a Firefox plugin that allows for CSS to be edited in real-time so that you can see the effects as you apply them. The limitation of this is that you cannot do this for IE. Well, here is a solution that allows you to see the effects of your CSS code in real-time on Firefox and IE (currently 7, I'm not sure of support for 6 at the moment!).

If you find it a useful resource, maybe this could be stickied or something so people don't miss it? Meh. I guess this could be a thread for people to show any other great programs they use for coding help?

CSSVista (http://litmusapp.com/cssvista/)

Dovey
09-19-2007, 11:41 AM
This looks really good and something i would use all the time, but i'm currently working on mac. does anyone know if there is a version out there that i could use?

Cheers

LFCFan
09-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Dovey,

I don't know about this particular product, but I'm stuck on WinNT and I found this:

http://secretgeek.net/OIDE/oide_css.htm

It may come in useful until a better MAC alternative is released.

HTH
Joe

effpeetee
09-19-2007, 12:30 PM
I have added CSSVista to me list of useful url's. See signature.

_Aerospace_Eng_
09-19-2007, 02:09 PM
I have actually tried this one time but at the time it was a little buggy. I may try to use it again in hopes that its not as buggy anymore.

Just tried it again, its still buggy. It doesn't seem to want to let me edit the CSS for Firefox. It does for IE though so I guess thats a plus because I was looking for a tool that could do so. Guess I'll have to stick to Firebug and the Web Developer toolbar for Firefox.

ahallicks
09-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Just tried it again, its still buggy. It doesn't seem to want to let me edit the CSS for Firefox. It does for IE though so I guess thats a plus because I was looking for a tool that could do so. Guess I'll have to stick to Firebug and the Web Developer toolbar for Firefox.

That's very strange? The example I was shown, and the person that showed me had a live version for both, and to test things he even did some mozilla hacks, and IE hacks separately to show the differences they wrought? Hmmm... bit of an annoying bug, but I agree that a tool for editing the live CSS in IE is always useful anyways.

butlins
09-19-2007, 02:41 PM
I'm developing on a Mac as well, but with Parallels installed so I can preview IE6 and 7, NN, Opera and Firefox on PC (which sometimes has some subtle differences to the Mac version).

I know it's not a perfect solution, but if you want to be able to us CSSVista to edit CSS live in IE7, you'd need XP or Vista anyway, either using Parallels, or some sort of PC emulation, like Virtual PC, if you're using an older Mac.

Alternatively, I'm sure you're all using the Web Developer extension for Firefox anyway - both Mac and PC, which allows live CSS edits as well, but only for Firefox.

jlhaslip
09-19-2007, 10:15 PM
WOW!

Too Cool!

Jutlander
09-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Alternatively, I'm sure you're all using the Web Developer extension for Firefox anyway

I don't. ;)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum