View Full Version : website updating by clients

aggie
01-04-2003, 03:29 AM
I've seen websites (ebay, marinesource.com, yachtworld.com, for example) that allow subscribers to log in and update the content and images on their on page within the site - without using html or ftp.
I'd like to learn how to make a website that allows others to do this easy updating to specified pages - but I don't even know where to start.
Can anyone tell me what I use to do this (javascript - database's - ???), or better yet point me to a tutorial?
Aggie

webmarkart
01-04-2003, 03:47 AM
You will definitely need a server side language such as asp, php, or cgi. These languages are designed to comunicate with a database. I don't know that a single tutorial will bring you to a point to accomplish this. My suggestion would be to pick a server side language (asp is my choice, but its a matter of personal preference) and take the time to learn it. Once you do that you will better understand how sites enable such updating.

aggie
01-04-2003, 02:38 PM
Thanks. I did some searches on asp and many links later I found that what I want is a "Content Management System" - where they talk alot about ASP, Mysql, databases... and separating the web design elements from the content input. Thanks for getting me on the right track.

stephenc
01-21-2003, 03:21 PM
Hi Aggie

I was also looking for something like this and found an ideal and cheap solution at http://www.innov-8.de/products-e.html

It uses a 'Word' like format and is pretty good.

HTH

Stephen

aggie
01-21-2003, 07:53 PM
That looks interesting! I'll probably get a chance to look into it in the next few days. Thanks.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum