View Full Version : W3 validator

aguilera
01-02-2003, 02:29 PM
Hi guys,
W3C MarkUp Validation Service is giving me an error message
regarding the tag:

<area shape="rect" coords="267, 1, 333, 61" href="mailto:c.cista@lycos.co.uk?cc=cistacr@ie.ibm.com&subject=Cri%20HomePage%20Comment" alt="Contact me">

the errors reported are:

Line 47, column 105: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "subject"
...ta@lycos.co.uk?cc=cistacr@ie.ibm.com&subject=Cri%20HomePage%20Comment" alt="C
^
Line 47, column 105: general entity "subject" not defined and no default entity (explain...).
' ...ta@lycos.co.uk?cc=cistacr@ie.ibm.com&subject=Cri%20HomePage%20Comment" alt="C
^
Line 47, column 112: reference to entity "subject" for which no system identifier could be generated
...s.co.uk?cc=cistacr@ie.ibm.com&subject=Cri%20HomePage%20Comment" alt="Contact
^
Line 47, column 104: entity was defined here
...sta@lycos.co.uk?cc=cistacr@ie.ibm.com&subject=Cri%20HomePage%20Comment" alt="

I've tried the solution proposed by the website itself,
and it didn't give me the error message anymore, but then the '&subject' command didn't work.

Is anyone able to explain me why this is happening?:confused:

Zvona
01-02-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by aguilera
<area shape="rect" coords="267, 1, 333, 61" href="mailto:c.cista@lycos.co.uk?cc=cistacr@ie.ibm.com&subject=Cri%20HomePage%20Comment" alt="Contact me">

the errors reported are:

Line 47, column 105: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "subject"
...ta@lycos.co.uk?cc=cistacr@ie.ibm.com&subject=Cri%20HomePage%20Comment" alt="C
^
Line 47, column 105: general entity "subject" not defined and no default entity (explain...).
' ...ta@lycos.co.uk?cc=cistacr@ie.ibm.com&subject=Cri%20HomePage%20Comment" alt="C
^
Line 47, column 112: reference to entity "subject" for which no system identifier could be generated
...s.co.uk?cc=cistacr@ie.ibm.com&subject=Cri%20HomePage%20Comment" alt="Contact
^
Line 47, column 104: entity was defined here
...sta@lycos.co.uk?cc=cistacr@ie.ibm.com&subject=Cri%20HomePage%20Comment" alt="

I think you should replace special characters with entities.
Most problems is caused by ampersand, which seems to be a problem also in this case (validator reads characters after & as entity declarations).

Replace ampersands with :
&amp;amp;

aguilera
01-02-2003, 04:23 PM
Hi Zvona,
thanks for your help,
unfortunately this suggestion doesn't seem to solve the problem.
Using '&amp' instead of '&' I got the following error:

Line 47, column 105: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "ampsubject"

...ta@lycos.co.uk?cc=cistacr@ie.ibm.com&ampsubject=Cri%20HomePage%20Comment" alt

I've tried substituting '&' with ';', which didn't give error in Validator but unfortunately does not work fine on the web site.

So, I'm still looking for a solution,
please get back to me if you have any other idea!!

Much appreciated!

aguilera
01-02-2003, 04:31 PM
Hi all,
I've actually found out the solution to this problem
I'd just like to share it with you now.

The correct sintax for the '&subject' element in the 'href="mailto:'
attribute is: &amp;subject

this way the validator accepts the code and it works fine on the web site!

Hope this could be helpful to somebody else! ;)

Zvona
01-02-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by aguilera
Hi Zvona,
thanks for your help,
unfortunately this suggestion doesn't seem to solve the problem.
Using '&amp' instead of '&' I got the following error:

Line 47, column 105: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "ampsubject"

...ta@lycos.co.uk?cc=cistacr@ie.ibm.com&ampsubject=Cri%20HomePage%20Comment" alt

I've tried substituting '&' with ';', which didn't give error in Validator but unfortunately does not work fine on the web site.

Your string should look like:
...ta@lycos.co.uk?cc=cistacr@ie.ibm.com&amp;amp;subject=Cri%20HomePage%20Comment" alt

Then it should work.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum