View Full Version : Visual Basic 6 + Just In Time Compiler

knightcon
08-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Hey, I was wanting to know if it is possible to distribute a just-in-time compiler for a visual basic application with the application itself. what I want to be able to do is modify the source code on the computer and then to run the project with the changes taking place. I know it is possible to an extent because the Visual Basic 6 IDE does something similar with the project being compiled when you execute the run command. I want to do something similar, but the destination computer won't have visual basic installed on it.

SouthwaterDave
09-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Does it have to be VB6? I use NScript from www.codeproject.com which performs this function for VB.NET (or C#).

knightcon
09-09-2007, 04:21 AM
Does it have to be VB6? I use NScript from www.codeproject.com which performs this function for VB.NET (or C#).

Yeah, it does need to be VB6, thanks for the reference to NScript, i'll have a look at it and see if it can be adapted for VB6 or if there is anything similar for VB6.

rnd me
09-09-2007, 06:21 AM
how complicated of changes are you needing to make?
if you need something simple like modifing strings, you can edit them by opening the .exe file in binary- strings inside of a module are stored verbatum.
don't forget about 2 bytes for every char.

you can open your .exe in notepad to get an idea of what i am talking about.

you if you need something more complicated, i haven't heard of a JIT vb6 complier, and you can't redistrubute visual studio...

perhaps you can setup the part you need to be able to modify in vbscript.
vb6 can run vbscript using either a webbrowser control, or the scripting runtime (reference).

you can evaluate a text file, registry string, etc.
that data could be easily manipluated/updated.

while you don't get all the bells and whistles of vb6, vbscript will let you do quite a bit...

hope this helps-

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum