View Full Version : Date Manual

Erindesign
08-28-2007, 05:11 AM
I have a script that I am modifying. I redid the photo upload and unfortunately don't have the original.

Basically, there is a date stored in the database, under dateadded. When they echo it, they use date(j M Y, $photo["dateadded"]);

Now, when people upload new photos, I need to insert a date into the dateadded, but don't know what to put.

example:
Database: 1187568954
Echo: 19 Aug 2007

Fumigator
08-28-2007, 05:17 AM
It looks like you are storing a unix timestamp, which is the number of seconds since Unix' birthday of some time in 1970. This is a lousy way to do it, and if you have the gumption then you have a great opportunity to improve your data by converting that lousy way of storing a timestamp to a "datetime" type column. Guelphdad has a good tutorial (http://www.guelphdad.wefixtech.co.uk/sqlhelp/varchartodate.shtml) for doing so.

But if you don't want to do that then you'll want to grab the current unix timestamp when you insert a row in the table ($currentTimestamp = date("U");).

aedrin
08-29-2007, 12:30 AM
This is a lousy way to do it, and if you have the gumption then you have a great opportunity to improve your data by converting that lousy way of storing a timestamp to a "datetime" type column.

It's not lousy, it's just a different way of storing it. Depending on requirements either of the two methods is better.

Neither is superior.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum