Just a quick 10-minute thing I whipped up out of boredom:
http://www.jasonkarldavis.com/textarea.html

In Mozilla, every textarea now has:

surroundSelection(leftstr, rightstr)

and insertAtSelection(str)

methods.

In IE, you need to explicitly give textareas those methods by:

ExtendTextArea(refToTextArea)

And now that textarea has those same methods.

I see this question asked enough that I thought it might be useful enough to post this.

scroots
01-01-2003, 09:37 PM
nothing happens when you click the buttons in opera 6.0

scroots

Roelf
01-01-2003, 09:50 PM
when using the img button and there is no selection, the cursor just is between words, the img tag is inserted before the textarea. For the rest, very useful i think :thumbsup:

jkd
01-02-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by scroots
nothing happens when you click the buttons in opera 6.0

scroots

Even the Mozilla-method is proprietary. There is no current standard definition which specifies precisely how to obtain the position of the caret, and a user-selection.

Roelf, I've gotten that a few times too, but it typically works for me in IE. I only get that when the caret is at the end of the text. Like I said, this was a quick 10-minute thing. Ultimately, the IE-method is very susceptible to screwing up the page if the method is called and the selection is elsewhere on the page other than the textarea. I could compare the parentElement.tagName against 'TEXTAREA' I suppose to prevent that from happening... but the real flaw is in IE's handling of a selection when clicking on a button.

Alex Vincent
01-02-2003, 03:48 AM
Are you sure of that, jkd? The Range specification states a blinking caret may be treated as a selection with starting and ending points identical.

jkd
01-02-2003, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by Alex Vincent
Are you sure of that, jkd? The Range specification states a blinking caret may be treated as a selection with starting and ending points identical.

Of course. But, as I was saying, there is no specification which deals with accessing user-selections, whether or not they consist of anything.

In other words, there is no W3C-equivalent to window.getSelection().getRangeAt() or even window.getSelection()

beetle
03-20-2003, 06:40 PM
Thanks for this code jkd, it's helped me with some stuff I'm working on.

Note: to get the parentElement of a TextRange in IE, you need the parentElement method

var range = document.selection.createRange();
if ( range.parentElement() != this ) return;
range.text = left + range.text + right;

Works for me :D

Tails
04-08-2003, 09:01 PM
You've got to highlight text in order for the bold and italic stuff to work. It isn't html though. What is it, bb code? I have no knowledge on a 3rd party code. In fact if I did, I would make my signature be links, but how is that done when html is turned off in these forums?

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum