View Full Version : Online Payment System
08-23-2007, 08:44 PM
I am developing a site for a client who wants to sell courses. I have looked at paypal and it looks like the best choice, but the site needs to be able to give special offers for courses based on what courses the user has bought before. So, although I need a simple payment system, I need to have some feedback from the provider of who has bought what. I have looked at the paypal site and sent an email to no avail. Does anybody know if this is possible with either paypal or perhaps another provider.
08-23-2007, 08:51 PM
You can't just set up different packages? If the user has bought this this and this...the price for this costs x amount. One word of caution. You wouldn't want to pass a price to paypal in your form or anything b/c that could easily be changed to a lower price.
I think the reason paypal didn't respond b/c they may feel as if its not their jurisdiction.
08-23-2007, 08:55 PM
If you are looking at Paypal's Website Payments Standard, then your site should handle the shopping cart side of things and then send your user to Paypal only when the final "Pay" button is pressed. Doing it this way you can control the entire layout of the course catalog and include discounts for repeat courses or whatever you want, then use the encrypted link Paypal gives you to head on over to complete payment.
08-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Although, the question still remains. How do I record who has bought what?
This is how I plan to implement:
1) Get a buy now button in html code for each course
2) Store the html for each course with each course's record in the database and display appropriate courses by querying the database. Easy enough
3) Courses that have a discount option will be treated as a new course as far as the database is concerned
4) When a user clicks on 'Buy now' it takes them through to pay pal who will handle the transaction (I assume they have the price already so all I will need to pass them is a course ID)
5) If the user goes through with the transaction they will be returned to my site.
6) Once back at the site I need to record whether they went through with the transaction or not.
Its step 6 that I can't work out how to do or even if its possible. I would have assumed that Paypal have thought about this before and have an xml messaging system or something
08-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Paypal has a notification url setting, check out the docs. You can use this method.
08-24-2007, 02:08 AM
Just extending what Inigoesdr said...
Search the paypal docs for 'IPN'.
What the IPN does is, as soon as a transaction occurs at paypal, paypal runs the IPN url that you set without the user ever realising.
I have this on a current site - my IPN page is all php and updates the database on my site.
08-24-2007, 02:47 AM
Yes the IPN (Instant Payment Notification) will tell you whether or not the transaction went thru and if failed it will give you an error code.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2015 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.