View Full Version : Graphic Help

ho0dsoldier
08-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Do any one know how to do or know what this is called when you put a picture or face of a person in the size of a certain shape like in the following pics

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8259/itszc0mplicateduawbtgeb8.jpg

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/9240/itszc0mplicatedvefwhovc3.jpg

rafiki
08-17-2007, 10:15 AM
make the image you want over the face with a transparent background and place it as a layer over the face and merge it down. make the image and give me a face ill do it for you.

VIPStephan
08-17-2007, 11:35 AM
In Fireworks that’s the “paste as mask” function. You have an object (bitmap or vector shape), you draw another shape in a new layer, cut it (Ctrl+X), click the first object, go on “Edit > Paste as Mask” and there you go. The two layers are kind of merged but still independent to some extent. In the layer pane you can unlock the two so you can move the inner one (the original graphic) within that mask shape.

rafiki
08-17-2007, 01:33 PM
you can mess around with gimp like that aswell but i guess the paste as mask function is easier :)

Feller
08-17-2007, 03:24 PM
that's a pretty easy affect to get in PS. just make the shape you want, in the case you posted above, it looks (to me at least) like mickey mouse....sorta...in anycase, once you have that layer, you take your face layer and place it directly ABOVE the shape layer. then, in the layers menu, you hold down option/alt, and mouse over the line dividing the layers. this will create a layer mask, and will place the face right inside your shape. After that, you can move the face around as you want, affect it's opacity, give it a blending mode....er whatever you want to do to make it look spiffy.

Edit: Also, this technique is considered Non-Destructive...which means if you change your mind later, you don't have to worry about having merged layers, and you can simply take it out of the mask.

lithriel
08-17-2007, 06:13 PM
In Photoshop:

Draw the shape you want
Select it using the magic wand tool
Press the mask layer button on the layers panel

Pretty easy! =)

2reikis
08-20-2007, 06:02 PM
In Photoshop:

Draw the shape you want
Select it using the magic wand tool Press the mask layer button on the layers panel

You can also ctrl-click the layer in the layers panel. Automatically selects transparency.

lithriel
08-22-2007, 05:17 AM
You can also ctrl-click the layer in the layers panel. Automatically selects transparency.
Technically you aren't selecting the "transparency" but the the object itself. Or you could say you are selecting the inverse of the transparencey. I use that trick all the time. Quick key shortcuts are your friend.:thumbsup:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum