View Full Version : Programming for a New kid

kosstr12
08-14-2007, 03:01 AM
Where do i need to start programming? what languages do i need to know? Could I balance Web design, school, and programming?

Thanks,

kosstr12

doctordew
08-14-2007, 04:39 AM
You should probably start with either web design, or programming. It would be a bit much.

As a side note it's pwn not pown ;-)

croatiankid
08-14-2007, 09:16 AM
I think it's too much for most people to learn both at the same time. Web design (coding) is a lot more simpler than programming. Where? I do online tutorials and look at other people's code on sites like this. What languages? That is quite arguable, and, depends on what you would like to program for. I started with Python superficially, then got into PHP for my web design needs (I know what I need to know, and learn it on practical needs). I'm a pretty bad programmer, and am thinking of going back to Python to learn how to program well.

mentalhorse
08-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Java or C# to learn how to program. That's what I would suggest.

LaRoza
08-15-2007, 03:50 PM
http://laroza.pbwiki.com

Have fun :D.

TheShaner
08-15-2007, 05:15 PM
That's why we have this thread -> http://codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=120349

-Shane

jjbova
08-15-2007, 05:40 PM
I too am STARTING to learn. I am a sys admin for a rather large company, but rarely work with codes. I know if I knew coding my job would be ALOT easier, and I could push for alot bigger paycheck. I want to learn PERL or Python, but not sure if that would be the best option.

TheShaner
08-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Well, being an SA, you're most likely looking for scripting that will help you with tasks, esp. batched tasks, to complete jobs quicker and add a little more to your skill set.

If you're administrating Windows servers, vbscript is usually a big help. You can create scripts to add/delete printers on users' computers, add/edit/delete/import/export users in Active Directory, and much more.

If you're using Linux servers, I know python is used often and so are perl scripts. Perl is also sometimes used on Windows servers using the ActivPerl installation. Also, bash and shell scripts on Linux are a definite must learn.

-Shane

ralph l mayo
08-15-2007, 07:20 PM
I too am STARTING to learn. I am a sys admin for a rather large company, but rarely work with codes. I know if I knew coding my job would be ALOT easier, and I could push for alot bigger paycheck. I want to learn PERL or Python, but not sure if that would be the best option.

Perl is the de facto sysadmin language, but only for historic reasons. Python is a far better choice.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum