View Full Version : How to get a users attention back to your page

usik
08-14-2007, 03:06 AM
Hi everyone,
I've started development of a php project. It is a php IM system will be integrable with many different types of online communities and even has enough power to be a standalone app.

at this stage the only problem i face is alerting the user when someone has sent a message to them. I was looking to make the tabs and taskbar item flash to grab the users attention.
Thanks in advance!

Inigoesdr
08-14-2007, 03:09 AM
You might be able to use JS or flash to play a sound. That would be the best way imo.

usik
08-14-2007, 03:11 AM
You might be able to use JS or flash to play a sound. That would be the best way imo.

Thanks for your reply Inigoesdr, but it already has sound that plays when a new message is received :P

danielwarner
08-14-2007, 03:34 AM
well php cant make an object flash, try javascript. If you can already make an object play a sound then why not use that to trigger a function to make toe object flash?

doctordew
08-14-2007, 03:39 AM
Is this going to be like an instant messaging thing where it's going to be used for lengthy conversations, or just similar to email and pm system? If it's similar to aim, and msn then I suggest having the screen flash orange like in aim. If it's for something that's not going to be instant conversation a pop up window to alert you that there's a message waiting, or an email (both works too) would also work.

usik
08-14-2007, 03:40 AM
thanks for the replies, and yes it is like msn nd aim, i'll go ask in the javascript forum :)

Inigoesdr
08-14-2007, 05:21 AM
Thanks for your reply Inigoesdr, but it already has sound that plays when a new message is received :P

Oh, I thought that's what you were asking for. But yeah, if you want a popup or something client-side you're going to need to use JS, probably checking every X number of seconds for new messages.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum