View Full Version : CSS - A general query re positioning when printing off.

effpeetee
08-08-2007, 10:35 AM
http://www.brainjar.com/css/positioning/default.asp

If you go to the above URL, you will find a very interesting article on css positioning. So interesting did I find it, that I decided to do a print off, thinking that the right hand side panel would probably be off the page, which was OK by me.

To my amazement, the panel was overprinted on to the left hand one. As this is an article about positioning and the importance of being readable by all normal means. I was surprised.

Is it possible to prevent this overprinting using css? It has never happened to me before.

Using IE7

Frank

abduraooft
08-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Hope you trying to remove the google ads.

Its based on Javascript, so its very easy to turn-off it in FF,(Tools->options->Content => Uncheck Enable Javascript).

IE6(Tools->Internet Options ->Security->Internet->Custome level->Scripting -> Disable Active scripting)

PS: remember to turn it on after your operation

effpeetee
08-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks, that helped me to get a good print off.
But why was the Google panel printed over the left hand panel.
It was OK on screen.

Frank

koyama
08-08-2007, 08:45 PM
It was OK on screen.
It is not OK on the screen. When I resize the browser window and make it narrower then the Google Ads start to overlap the content. This is a serious accessibility issue.

effpeetee
08-08-2007, 09:32 PM
It is not OK on the screen. When I resize the browser window and make it narrower then the Google Ads start to overlap the content. This is a serious accessibility issue.
A bit odd, when the whole article is about position control using CSS,

Frank

Arbitrator
08-08-2007, 10:46 PM
But why was the Google panel printed over the left hand panel.
It was OK on screen.Your screen is almost certainly wider than the page that you printed to. Itís on the right and overlapping things because itís absolutely positioned with respect to the containing block; in printed media, a page box is the default containing block.

Apparently, they meant to hide the ad via CSS, but their selector doesnít match; the below code is what was in their CSS file.

@media print {

#adsense {
display: none;
}

An easier method to print would have been to just print only pages two through four (in Firefox 2) since the first page is otherwise wasted.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum