View Full Version : Unicode cross-browser compatibility

cfructose
08-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Hi,

OK, please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that IE won't display certain characters (owing to the browser's limitations) even if the font is installed on the user's computer, whereas some of the same chars will display correctly in, say, FF.

E.g.
Unicode: &amp;#266E; (&#x266E;) = decimal &amp;#9838; = ♮ (music notation: 'natural sign') — works on firefox, not in internet explorer<br/>

So far, so good (I hope). But is there any way I can get around this?

Thanks

_Aerospace_Eng_
08-02-2007, 08:07 PM
What version of IE are you trying this on? This works fine in IE 7 and Firefox.

& #9838;
Remove the space.

Just in case you are seeing something different this is what I see in Firefox 2.0.0.5 on the post you made.

cfructose
08-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Forget all the &amp;..... blah blah blah I wrote: that was an attempt to make the ampersand appear as a character and not be interpreted as part of a char ref.
The only part that matters is the musical notation 'natural sign' itself (the small square with a vertical line rising from the left-hand edge and another vertical line descending from the right-hand edge).

In the snapshot you posted, I see the symbol fine. (As I do when viewing in ff on my computer now!)

Using IE6 it doesn't appear. (For which, sadly, I need to cater!)

Any thoughts?

Arbitrator
08-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Using IE6 it doesn't appear. (For which, sadly, I need to cater!)

Any thoughts?Firefox substitutes glyphs when a glyph is missing from a font (a glyph is the visual representation of a character). It seems that Internet Explorer 6 doesnít do this and that this feature was added to Internet Explorer 7.

In other words, you need to use a font that contains the relevant glyph if you want it to display properly in Internet Explorer 6. Lucida Sans Unicode is probably your best bet; itís listed as being a common font [1] and has the desired glyph.

http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html

cfructose
08-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Firefox substitutes glyphs when a glyph is missing from a font

Not knowing that, I always presumed that the font I was using contained everything and that IE was simply getting it wrong. It all makes sense now, thanks. Lucida Sans Unicode did the trick. (And it's not that bad aesthetically!)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum