View Full Version : is there a way to get around print.css

08-01-2007, 11:31 PM
I've been asked to print out the contents of a couple of 20-page web sites, so the company executives can meet and go over the site contents. However, the sites have a print.css setting that forces the pages to print in a printer-friendly fashion. Unfortunately, that's not at all appropriate for the purposes of the meeting, where the people involved want to be able to actually see the site as it looks, with graphics and formatting and links. Is there any way to get around the print.css settings and print what I see on the screen?

I'm aware that I can do a print screen and paste into a graphics program, but with roughly 100 pages of content, some of them multiple screens long, it could literally take hours to do that for each individual page.

08-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Not ideal for a large number of pages, but it does work:

- In Opera, view the source of the page.
- Remove any lines which import print stylesheets
- Apply Changes (this just saves the cached copy; the original on the server will remain untouched)
- Print the page

This gets around one of the problems (it removes print styling from multiple page documents, thus you don't have to screen capture every page individually), but you're still stuck doing this for every page. Better than nothing?

Also, though I haven't experimented with it yet to know if it really would be helpful, you might also want to try Opera's Quick Preferences > Edit site preferences > Display > My Stylesheet; maybe this would let you use a site-wide custom stylesheet to override styles, or strip out the print styles?

(Sorry for the Opera-centric answer, but it's what I'm most familiar with. There are lots of plug-ins available for Firefox -- maybe one of them will help here?)

08-01-2007, 11:59 PM
You can also use the web developer toolbar in Firefox to disable certain stylesheets AFAIK.

08-02-2007, 01:15 AM
you could always take screen shots

08-02-2007, 01:18 AM
you could always take screen shots

What if the pages he has to print have more content past what the screen can see?

I'd go with the Firefox route, or the Opera route, seems like your only options.

08-02-2007, 03:18 AM
Firefox also has an Extension for printing the full size page, regardless o the monitor size. check out their Extension called : Screen grab!

Photobucket makes it smaller than what is on my machine. It actually builds an Image about 1250 x 2350 tall on the local machine, and PB max 800 x 600 only, so if you want, I can send te full size and you will see that the image is life size.

08-02-2007, 12:15 PM
ill have a look for that. I have some FireFox addon that lets me right click on a page and choose save as image. This captures the whole page regardless of screen resolution. I wonder if one of these add ons could be invoked from a script.

08-02-2007, 12:41 PM
^ Could you tell me that one please! I used to have it and I need it back but I can't remember it so I can't find it :(

08-02-2007, 03:10 PM

08-02-2007, 04:13 PM
That Firefox add on might be the best bet for me. Doing the print screen method adds so many extra steps it's not even worth considering unless it's a last resort. Even this adds a few extra steps, but it's definitely better than the alternatives I've found. Thanks for the help.

08-02-2007, 04:17 PM
good. This method should be OK, unless you were grabbing a huge site.

08-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Well, I think it's going to be about 100 pages total, so not exactly fun, but it won't kill me ... and it's definitely less painful than ticking off a bunch of company executives when I can't follow through on the assignment. :)

08-03-2007, 03:25 AM
I would hope that the pages all pull from a central CSS file and that you are referencing your own company's pages. If so, then temporarally alter the CSS file to get rid of (comment out) the offencing CSS, print the pages, and put it back.

08-03-2007, 04:49 PM
good luck