View Full Version : so far so good...

harlequin2k5
07-31-2007, 11:01 AM
please review the following site...Suncoast Web Designs (http://shiznit.no-ip.info/swd)...I think I've gotten all the xhtml/css validation ok

what I'm most interested in is knowing if it lays out ok with ie6 - dunno how I did it but all of my computers seem to have upgraded to ie7...

but I'd also like to know if it feels ok, is clickable and inviting, and professional looking :o

rafiki
07-31-2007, 11:03 AM
looks professional enough for me, seems everything should be where it is, nice site :) (FF2.0) sorry not got IE6

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-31-2007, 11:08 AM
please review the following site...Suncoast Web Designs (http://shiznit.no-ip.info/swd)...I think I've gotten all the xhtml/css validation ok

what I'm most interested in is knowing if it lays out ok with ie6 - dunno how I did it but all of my computers seem to have upgraded to ie7...

but I'd also like to know if it feels ok, is clickable and inviting, and professional looking :o
Guess you haven't heard about Multiple IE (http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE). Also IE7 is a windows update so if you have them set to automatic its going to install it. As to the site, I think its a little to narrow. I'm using a 1280x800 resolution and its tiny. And what is up with code like this?

<h1><span class="h1_color">Suncoast Web Designs</span></h1>
That span isn't necessary.

harlequin2k5
07-31-2007, 11:27 AM
thanks for having a look rafiki & aero :)

Guess you haven't heard about Multiple IE (http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE).

actually, I have - there was actually a day several months ago when I tried to install it and wound up with a few problems (in all fairness the computer itself was having quite a few difficulties); I just never thought about it again - thanks for the tip :thumbsup: )

As to the site, I think its a little to narrow. I'm using a 1280x800 resolution and its tiny.

I'm inclined to agree (I'm viewing at 1680x1250)...unfortunately I'm currently without an image editor (just a matter of plugging my other computer back in) so I'm unable to make the header image wider - if I just increase the width the image gets swallowed up...I should be able to get that corrected tomorrow

And what is up with code like this?

<h1><span class="h1_color">Suncoast Web Designs</span></h1>
That span isn't necessary.

that was just a dumb miss...

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-31-2007, 11:30 AM
Now that IE7 installed itself, Multiple IE should work just fine now. Conditional comments should work as well as the MS filters.

rafiki
07-31-2007, 11:31 AM
unfortunately I'm currently without an image editor
GIMP its free and pretty good, which image is the one you want widening?
http://shiznit.no-ip.info/swd/images/nav_bg.jpg ?

harlequin2k5
07-31-2007, 11:36 AM
yes that would be the image...I did install gimp tonight but found that I had no patience to work with it (I don't even know if it's difficult to use - I was just on a mission lol) - my other computer that's sitting on the floor next to me has photoshop 7.0

as aero pointed out the overall wrap I think is 540px and I would normally work with 750-770px

in case you haven't already figured it out - the original design came from a template on owd (I keep forgetting to put the credit back at the bottom of the page!)

rafiki
07-31-2007, 11:38 AM
lol ill give the image resizing ago if you like, what dimensions would you like it set to?

harlequin2k5
07-31-2007, 11:44 AM
that's very kind of you...unfortunately I have no dollars...

but if I may be so bold as to ask that the width be adjusted to 697px?

rafiki
07-31-2007, 11:56 AM
that's very kind of you...unfortunately I have no dollars...

harlequin2k5, i offered to do it for free, not for a charge :) i'd do the respected members of this forum any favours i could (aslong as its not too large) as i owe this community my knowledge of most things web related... ill post anouther reply after i have attempted this recreation.

harlequin2k5
07-31-2007, 12:04 PM
<---adds another hero to her list...

rafiki
07-31-2007, 12:13 PM
i couldnt get an exact duplicate but i tried hows this?? sorry for the poor copy :(

i can play around with the smudge tool to make it more like the original if you like, i j ust realised how out the blue-white bit is :(

harlequin2k5
07-31-2007, 12:17 PM
oooooooooh I like - at first I thought the green would clash but I think it actually works quite nicely

thank you ever so much rafiki!

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-31-2007, 12:22 PM
Here is the original resized in PS3. :)

rafiki
07-31-2007, 05:51 PM
oooooooooh I like - at first I thought the green would clash but I think it actually works quite nicely

thank you ever so much rafiki!

if you do like then thanks, my screens not at 100% colour :@ but if you dont sorry, you dont have to say you like to be nice :)

doctordew
07-31-2007, 06:13 PM
Your site is pretty cool. Everything seemed to work out fine for me on IE7. Then I decided to check out your portfolio. You've made some pretty good sites. Nice job.

harbingerOTV
08-01-2007, 12:32 AM
The one thing that I would like to see you try out is a little edit to the navigation.

#nav a {
text-decoration:none;
color:#333333;
padding: 0 4px 0 0;
}
#nav a:hover {
border-right:2px #498196 solid;
color:#498196;
padding: 0 2px 0 0;
}

basically moving the text over so it doesn't sit right on the hover border and adjust the padding so the text doesn't jump when hovered.

Just my 2cents ;)

BWiz
08-01-2007, 04:52 AM
Firstly, I like it. It's fresh and it's clean. The colours compliment each other and the content is placed well and spacely (if thats a word at all - but you get the idea).

Just two comments:

1) You're menu. I think it would do better if you placed it vertically
a. At the top of the header image.
b. Or the bottom of the header image.
c. At the top of everything.

2) You're background colour is nice, but the little part you have placed at the top (and this is just my opinion) makes it look like a carpet. Try replacing it with something else, or a solid colour or a gradient fill would be nice.

Like what rafiki said, if you're having trouble with the graphics or stuff we'll gladly help you out (Well, I offer too anyway :) ).

harlequin2k5
08-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Your site is pretty cool. Everything seemed to work out fine for me on IE7. Then I decided to check out your portfolio. You've made some pretty good sites. Nice job.

thank you doctordew...I got quite a bit of help with the design (specifically the horizontal menu) on the st. ignatius site right here in cf :)

harlequin2k5
08-01-2007, 08:26 PM
harbingerOTV & bwiz...

I decided that I agreed about the menu and I made it horizontal with a bottom border on hover and created an active class

I was so happy with all the reviews that I launched it - Suncoast Web Designs (http://www.suncoastwebdesigns.com)

edit: bah my contact page isn't working right...

Graft-Creative
08-04-2007, 12:46 AM
It's neat and tidy, works pretty flawlessly on all the versions of IE I have to hand too.

Design wise (as opposed to graphics-wise, the two don't always equal the same thing...) it doesn't really sell me - there's no call to action, no focus, no path...just some stuff, on a website...

Why the big image of a cup at eye level? - that's the most important piece of screen real estate there, and it's just a picture of a cup, and some links...

Really, I'd say, you need to go back to the: 'who, what, why?' then design and build outwards from there.

To me, it'd work great as a blog design, but not in the hard sell environment.

Kind regards,

Gary

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum