View Full Version : php home page question

taffd
07-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Because my site is dynamic, the majority of the pages have a php extension. I am under the impression that search engines and such look for 'index.html' and so have done an index page that redirects to the home page which is php. I've been criticised in another part of codingforums for this. Am I right in my assumption or is there a correct way to do things. The site is myverdict.net, by the way.
Thanks in advance.

firepages
07-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Search engines come to your page either via links from other pages or straight to your web root, if the first page that displays in index.php then thats what the search engines will see.

that said .... I just read the other thread and I don't personally see the point of showing a redirection page , waiting for 5 seconds etc .. just redirect immediately (refresh 0) or edit your .htaccess file if it exists (or create one if not) and add

DirectoryIndex index.php

to it, this will make index.php the default page, you can also set this in some popular control panels.

Fumigator
07-30-2007, 06:16 PM
I really really hate "you will be redirected in 5 seconds or whenever we feel like you've suffered long enough" messages. Just redirect me already.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum