View Full Version : Column Problem with IE6

vinoman
07-30-2007, 03:15 AM
I've been working on my site, www.portlandwinegroup.com and it looks fine in Firefox and Safari but not IE6.

My right hand column with links is down at the bottom of the page.

How do I adjust the style sheet to get all columns to show up?

I'm in Linux most of the time so I forget about IE6 & 7. Do they both have problems with this?

Thanks

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-30-2007, 03:50 AM
From looking at your stylesheet it appears you are suffering from the IE double margin bug where the margin that is in the direction of the float doubles in IE6. The solution is to simply add display:inline to the CSS for that selector. IE7 when not in quirks mode does not have this problem.

#linkarea {
float: left;
width: 127px; /* 3px shy to allow for IE's float margin bug */
margin: 0 10px;
display:inline;
}

vinoman
07-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the tip. I also realized that two images that I added to that column area were wider than the 127px width of the column. I resized the images and that fixed the problem.

Would the display:inline keep it together even if the images were too wide? Firefox allows it to overflow, but not IE6.

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-30-2007, 01:45 PM
This is because IE6 has an expanding box model problem. If the content within it can't be wrapped to another line like an image then the containing element will expand to accommodate the added width.

And no display:inline wouldn't keep it where it should be if you used float:left. I said to add display:inline because of the double margin bug which you did have by the way.

vinoman
07-31-2007, 01:24 PM
I don't know what the double margin bug is, but I added the display:inline;
as you mentioned.

Thanks.

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-31-2007, 01:26 PM
I don't know what the double margin bug is, but I added the display:inline;
as you mentioned.

Thanks.
I've already told you what it was

From looking at your stylesheet it appears you are suffering from the IE double margin bug where the margin that is in the direction of the float doubles in IE6.:rolleyes:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum