View Full Version : CSS Help

Chris_NY
07-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Hi,

I am trying to change the scrollbar colors but I am having no luck.

my style sheet is located at:http://hoohoo.us/rocknrollerz/style3.css
the main page is:http://hoohoo.us/rocknrollerz/main.html

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

whizard
07-27-2007, 08:23 PM
What browser? Scrollbar colors are only supported on IE AFAIK

I think you need to apply the styles to html, not body.

HTH
Dan

VIPStephan
07-27-2007, 09:56 PM
What browser? Scrollbar colors are only supported on IE AFAIK

Thatís right (Opera supports them as well but only in quirks mode).
You shouldnít mess with the user interface anyway. For one thatís not supported in any good browser. Secondly it bears accessibility issues (if scrollbars arenít easily recognizable as such) and can drive users away from your site instead of keeping them.
And thirdly thatís as amateurish and annoying as having music on a website that starts playing automatically with no option to stop it (which is even worse).

Good web design is incorporating the default scrollbars, not trying to change them. And by the way: on a Mac or Unix PC the scollbars look completely differently and canít be changed in any browser at all.

medigerati
07-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Thatís right (Opera supports them as well but only in quirks mode).
You shouldnít mess with the user interface anyway. For one thatís not supported in any good browser. Secondly it bears accessibility issues (if scrollbars arenít easily recognizable as such) and can drive users away from your site instead of keeping them.
And thirdly thatís as amateurish and annoying as having music on a website that starts playing automatically with no option to stop it (which is even worse).

Good web design is incorporating the default scrollbars, not trying to change them. And by the way: on a Mac or Unix PC the scollbars look completely differently and canít be changed in any browser at all.

Actually, if you look at the site, music does start playing when the user loads the page, but there is a way to shut if off. I agree that both practices (automatic music and colored scrollbars) aren't good practices.

VIPStephan
07-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Oh right! After searching a minute I found that tiny square on the keyboardÖ

Thatís the thing: user friendlyness is about helping the visitor and let him decide to do what and when s/he wants, not imposing something and making it hard to find things. That will just make the user click that button with the ďxĒ inside Ė which is always in the same place and easy to find.

Chris_NY
07-27-2007, 10:20 PM
This is just a fun site for a few friends. Not trying to attract a lot of people! All I wanted to know what was wrong with code. Why I can change the scrollbar color on every page but the main.html.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum