View Full Version : Yahoo - Lawsuit seeks to shut down Facebook

Len Whistler
07-25-2007, 04:50 AM
From Yahoo News:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070724/ap_on_hi_te/facebook_lawsuit

BOSTON - The owners of a rival social networking Web site are trying to shut down Facebook.com, charging in a federal lawsuit that Facebook's founder stole their ideas while they were students at Harvard. The three founders of ConnectU say Mark Zuckerberg agreed to finish computer code for their site, but repeatedly stalled and eventually created Facebook using their ideas.

Sure appears that Zuckerberg got the idea from the other students.

doctordew
07-25-2007, 07:00 AM
That would really stink if it was closed. They should atleast make some kind of agreement to sell it to yahoo or something.

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-25-2007, 08:11 AM
Even if yahoo does buy it someone is still going to be part of a lawsuit. If it is sold to yahoo who would the lawsuit be against? The creator or yahoo? I think the lawsuit is going to be dropped because exactly what proof do they have that the creator of Facebook stole their ideas? Since Facebook started it has evolved tremendously. I think its changed so much that no one can say the ideas behind it are the same as connectu. Just look at myspace. Look at the people today trying to make similar sites. Should they be sued as well?

ess
07-25-2007, 10:41 AM
I don't think that they can pull this through without evidence of some kind that proves he stoles their idea. Having said that though, there are many on-line and off-line businesses that sort of provide almost identical services...so, if it was their idea...why didn't do anything about it (i.e. setup a website that provided similar or the same service????)

Personally, the question I have is why have they waited this long before they attempted to sue the founder?

Could it be possible that they didn't bother to sue him, until they learnt that there is loads of money to be made..and hence, sue now before he sells the company.

or could it be possible that they knew the founder...and thought, well...if we claim that he stole our idea before any arrangements with Yahoo or other buyer is made....he might just settle outside court..and we might just make some money out of this.

In any case, I would like to know what sort of evidence they have...that would prove their claims beyond any doubts.

evo
07-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Shifted to a more appropriate forum.

Daemonspyre
07-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Silly Question -- Who cares?

Facebook, MySpace, and other social networking sites are only there to show that people are relying less on true human interaction and more on the cold interaction with a computer.

As much as I praise computers and the way that our technology has helped us (esp. those of us in the industry), it seems that we as a society need to have our humanity catch up to our technology.

You know that it's a sad world when kids today (kids meaning people 18 and under) would rather go home and type on their computer to their next door neighbor than go and sit face-to-face with them in their home...

TheShaner
07-25-2007, 02:59 PM
You know that it's a sad world when kids today (kids meaning people 18 and under) would rather go home and type on their computer to their next door neighbor than go and sit face-to-face with them in their home...
I second that! I remember when I was younger, I couldn't stand to even be inside. It's sad to think those days are pretty much over. Though I do have MySpace as it does help me keep in touch with people easier, it never becomes a substitute to real human interaction.

But back to the actual allegations, if you check the Facebook Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook), it indicates that this lawsuit was filed back in September 2004. Reading the article also mentions this. So it's not something they just "suddenly decided to do". The initial lawsuit was thrown out and they refiled. I guarantee Mark Zuckerberg really did steal the idea.

Let's throw the facts together:

Mark was a freelance programmer for Harvard Connection, AKA ConnectU
He never finished his work for ConnectU
Mark released thefacebook.com, which was geared toward connecting Harvard students, 1 month before ConnectU's Harvard Connection was released, which is not only the same concept, but for the same school

Will anything happen? No. It won't go very far. Facebook is a smaller version of how M$ ended up with the desktop environment, haha.

-Shane

Spookster
07-25-2007, 03:49 PM
You have to wonder would they would still claim he stole their ideas if it hadn't turned into something worth all that money.

TheShaner
07-25-2007, 04:16 PM
You have to wonder would they would still claim he stole their ideas if it hadn't turned into something worth all that money.
:confused: I just said they did in my post :confused: They filed in Sep 2004, which was only 7 months after the initial launch of Facebook and then refiled after it was thrown out. It wasn't "worth all that money" 7 months later, but it was a bigger success than theirs. Who would file a lawsuit against someone who miserably failed to steal their ideas?

Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me? :(

-Shane

oracleguy
07-25-2007, 04:29 PM
What I thought was funny:

Zuckerberg says that he voluntarily agreed to contribute six hours of coding for the ConnectU site, but denies that he had knowledge of it being a social networking system. Instead, he claims that he believed it to be a personal site to connect students, alumni and employers.

I never really understood their product, but it was not a social networking site, Zuckerberg said in a previous Stanford Daily story.

That sure sounds like a social networking site to me.

Spookster
07-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me? :(

-Shane

Did you say something?

Len Whistler
07-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Personally, the question I have is why have they waited this long before they attempted to sue the founder?

In the Yahoo News article - as TheShaner has been saying - they originally launched the lawsuit in early 2004 when Facebook was probably not much more popular than their site. Post number 7 from TheShaner highlights the main points of the Yahoo News article.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum