View Full Version : Download Button

graham23s
07-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Hi Guys,

i currently use a basic link of text so users can down files like so:

<a href="download.php?id='.$id.'"><font color="red" size="5"> '.$file_name.' </font>

but i was wanting to make it an actual button i have tried this below but no joy

<form action="download.php?id='.$id.'"><input type="submit" value="Download"></form>

can anyone give me some advice on how to do it correctly.

thanks guys

Graham

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-23-2007, 11:22 PM
Can I ask why you want this a button?

<form action="download.php?id='.$id.'"><input type="submit" value="Download"></form>

graham23s
07-23-2007, 11:26 PM
Hi,

well SOME people don't know how to use the link believe it or not lol if the button is staring them in the face there no 2 ways about it.

Graham

ole90
07-23-2007, 11:28 PM
<?php
echo"<form action='download.php?id='{$id}'><input type='submit' value='Download'></form>";
?>

That should fix it =X

CFMaBiSmAd
07-24-2007, 12:01 AM
graham23s, your <form action="download.php?id='.$id.'">... will work if you add a method="post" to the <form ... tag. The default method is GET when no method is specified and the form will overwrite your ?id= parameter.

Short version - the only way to have a GET parameter in the action="..." is if you specify method="post".

graham23s
07-24-2007, 12:07 AM
Hi Guys,

when i do this:

echo "<form method=\"POST\" action='download.php?id='$id'><input type='submit' value='Download'></form>";

but the id is missing the bit i need lol

is that right what i have done above?

thanks guys

Graham

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-24-2007, 12:11 AM
<form action="download.php" method="get">
<input type="hidden" name="id" value="<?php echo $id; ?>">
<input type="submit" value="Download">
</form>

CFMaBiSmAd
07-24-2007, 12:13 AM
Edit: I see you edited your post and put in the code. There is an extra single-quote that is stopping the output.

You would need to post your actual code that echos the <form... to the browser.

The partial code you posted in the first post in this thread has the potential of a quoting problem and if you used ole90's posted code, it has an extra single-quote that would prevent it from working.

aedrin
07-24-2007, 12:16 AM
graham23s, your <form action="download.php?id='.$id.'">... will work if you add a method="post" to the <form ... tag. The default method is GET when no method is specified and the form will overwrite your ?id= parameter.

Actually, it won't. Do a POST with a variable in the URL, you will see all values present in $_REQUEST.

There's nothing wrong with doing it that way.

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-24-2007, 12:24 AM
This would also work

echo "<form action=\"download.php?id=$id\" method=\"post\"><input type=\"submit\" value=\"Download\"></form>";

graham23s
07-24-2007, 12:31 AM
Thanks a ton guys i got it workin perfectly:)

thanks again

Graham

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum