View Full Version : My site

Jonno
07-20-2007, 11:36 PM
This was the first site i ever put together albeit badly and over time it has become a mishmash of bits and pieces tacked on from time to time, i plan to rewrite the entire thing but would value any advice you might like to give, don't worry, i am impervious to insults :)

As i live in a village, i intend to keep a similar theme to what i have now for the interest of my many elderly customers but with some exceptions, i am well known for being rather outspoken on all sorts of things and although most of what i have on the site is not in any way related to the main content i would like to keep some of it.

Jonno

Oh. better not forget the link!! www.sparkey.biz.

phill_ridout
07-22-2007, 12:15 AM
the image links are not very clear, and have no alt text (should do) esp if ur using images for navigation.

The home page isn't realy a home page as it doesn't realy explain what the site is about.

There is no real continuity to the menu, and it is confusing, when i look on the home page and see that there is no explination, i natrually look to the side.

twodayslate
07-22-2007, 04:55 AM
Web site not coded for 1280x1024

My eyes just fell out. Bad color choice.

Rachy06
07-22-2007, 04:57 AM
i just don't like it... sorry.

It just doesn't look very appealing... even the colour scheme isn't great.

and obviously

Web site not coded for 1280x1024

srule_
07-22-2007, 05:22 AM
1. get rid of the scrolling sidebar.

2. fix both your navs. As of right now one is with ugly images that are hard to read (don't know how your ederly customer read that) and the other has no formating at all.

3. Add a small description of your company/site and make it the first bit of text we see besides the header/logo.

ahallicks
07-23-2007, 10:31 AM
As well as the fact that it simple doesn't look appealing (lack of graphics, no real structure etc) your coding is hideous! For a start there is no doctype, and you are using frames when this site could easily be created in valid, strict and semantic (X)HTML! I suggest you find some tutorials on CSS styling and layouts as well as how to code (X)HTML properly and semantically.

Jonno
07-23-2007, 08:09 PM
Many thanks for the constructive comments folks, the site was originally put together with Cutesite builder as i didn't have a clue as to how to do any other way, i am getting on quite well with Dreamweaver now so obviously it will be redone using that program (much more control over how things are done)

I have noted all the comments and will take them into account when i redo it.

Regards

Jonno

twodayslate
07-23-2007, 08:12 PM
If you really want I am sure someone will make you a layout. For a price of course. People here are quite reasonable.

Jonno
07-24-2007, 08:21 PM
If you really want I am sure someone will make you a layout. For a price of course. People here are quite reasonable.

Thanks for the offer, but i want to get it right by myself, when i do eventually get round to rebuilding it will let everyone know so you can all comment one way or the other.

Jonno

ahallicks
07-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Just please do NOT use Dreamweavers design layout to build your site. It will generate some appalling code that won't teach you anything about doing things yourself and I doubt will work in the various browsers.

If you are using Dreamweaver I suggest you never leave the coding view and when you get stuck, or if you don't know where to begin check out some tutorials on hand coding yourself. There are plenty of resources out there to help you, and there is this forum too. Head to BonRouge (http://www.bonrouge.com) for some really good beginner lessons in HTML and CSS.

srule_
07-25-2007, 02:17 PM
If you are using Dreamweaver I suggest you never leave the coding view

the one thing i find design view helpful for is to check what color i used for a an image i made in photoshop if i want to re-use the same color for a border or background. Saves me opening photoshop.:thumbsup:
Other then that it is Completely useless!

ahallicks
07-25-2007, 05:28 PM
I could be picky and say that the way I do that is to test it in a browser and use the color drop tool that you can get for firefox as it gives you all the close alternatives and the value in RGB as well as Hex. But that's just being pedantic!

;)

daemonkin
07-25-2007, 05:40 PM
Ahallicks: What color dropper tool are you using? ColorZilla? Is there one that I can use to hover over images not just web elements?

D.

Jonno
07-25-2007, 07:52 PM
Just please do NOT use Dreamweavers design layout to build your site. It will generate some appalling code that won't teach you anything about doing things yourself and I doubt will work in the various browsers.

If you are using Dreamweaver I suggest you never leave the coding view and when you get stuck, or if you don't know where to begin check out some tutorials on hand coding yourself. There are plenty of resources out there to help you, and there is this forum too. Head to BonRouge (http://www.bonrouge.com) for some really good beginner lessons in HTML and CSS.

I have to admit to using the design window quite a lot as it does give a fair idea of layout, having said that, i am constantly checking it out in the browser as well, thank you for the link to bonrouge ahallicks, will certainly look in there.

Regards

Jonno

ahallicks
07-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Ahallicks: What color dropper tool are you using? ColorZilla? Is there one that I can use to hover over images not just web elements?

D.

I use ColorZilla with EditCSS to highlight the page attributes and tags, and the color dropper does give the colors of images within a web page? Not sure what you are talking about there?

lithriel
07-27-2007, 02:22 AM
Okay Sparky, first off, please desaturate the green in your main content area. Try #cfe6e6 instead of #ccffff. It hurts to read on such bright green.

Also consider using a font like Arial or Verdana instead of Times for your side navigation. While a serif font is great for reading printed material, a sans-serif font is easier to read on a screen. Also, those buttons are hideous and hard to read due to the pattern on them.

Please remove the frames. And most importantly, be sure your code validates to ensure all browsers will be able to see your site correctly. Editors do not write clean code. You have to do that yourself.

Jonno
07-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Okay Sparky, first off, please desaturate the green in your main content area. Try #cfe6e6 instead of #ccffff. It hurts to read on such bright green.

Also consider using a font like Arial or Verdana instead of Times for your side navigation. While a serif font is great for reading printed material, a sans-serif font is easier to read on a screen. Also, those buttons are hideous and hard to read due to the pattern on them.

Please remove the frames. And most importantly, be sure your code validates to ensure all browsers will be able to see your site correctly. Editors do not write clean code. You have to do that yourself.

Thanks for the advice lithriel, i do appreciate the need for a colour change, in fact the lot is due for a change, but all the advice is so useful to make sure i get it right next time, thanks for taking the time to reply and that goes for everyone else as well :thumbsup:

BWiz
07-29-2007, 05:14 AM
I would consider a complete website overhaul. Now, this is just my opinion, but if your designing this site for a thirty year old company, you should REALLY be going for elegance!

Other than that, I can't really offer any more advice. If you wish to keep this layout, a colour change should be made. Maybe black side and top bars, with the rest of the page white?
Use Georgia or Times New Roman for titles, while using, maybe, 11/12 px Tahoma or Verdana for content.

Just suggestions.

Jonno
07-29-2007, 07:30 PM
I would consider a complete website overhaul. Now, this is just my opinion, but if your designing this site for a thirty year old company, you should REALLY be going for elegance!

Other than that, I can't really offer any more advice. If you wish to keep this layout, a colour change should be made. Maybe black side and top bars, with the rest of the page white?
Use Georgia or Times New Roman for titles, while using, maybe, 11/12 px Tahoma or Verdana for content.

Just suggestions.

Thanks BWiz this is what i intend to do, rebuild it from scratch, I quite like your idea of black side and top bars, As you have noticed i do like Times fonts but i agree that maybe not such a good idea for content, it will be a while before i get round to rebuilding the thing as there never seems enough hours in the day, especially with a 1/3 acre garden to keep tidy, guess that will be a job for winter months, will keep everyone informed when i get something uploaded so you can all pass comment.

Regards

Jonno

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum