View Full Version : if/else not working with mySQL command?

mtd
07-15-2007, 08:19 AM
I'm trying to set up a basic email list, starting with the following:

if($_POST['gf_email_signup']=='Yes') {
$sql = "SELECT email from e_mailing_list where e_mailing_list.email = '$_POST[gf_email_signup]'";
$result = mysql_query($sql, $conn) or die(mysql_error());
if(mysql_num_rows($result) != 0) {
$email_signup_notice = '(Your email address was already on our mailing list)';
} else {
$sql = "INSERT INTO e_mailing_list values ('','$date','$_POST[gf_name_first]','$_POST[gf_name_last]','$_POST[gf_email]')";
$result = mysql_query($sql, $conn) or die(mysql_error());
$email_signup_notice = '(Your email address was successfully added to our mailing list)';
}
}
The problem is, after an email address is added, if that address is attempted to be added again (i.e. test@email.com is already in the list but someone tries to add it again), the if/else clause does not work. It skips to the else section and then returns as mySQL error because the email field is set as unique. Am I missing something as to why the if/else is not working to detect a duplicate address? Am I going about this the wrong way?

My apologies if this belongs in the mySQL forum; I am new to mySQL but this seemed to me to be a php problem... but again, I'm new to mySQL so I could be wrong, and maybe the solution is quite obvious to a more seasoned coder...

Thanks in advance.

NancyJ
07-15-2007, 10:26 AM
try echoing out the result of mysql_num_rows - its the only condition in your if so thats the first place to start

CFMaBiSmAd
07-15-2007, 03:10 PM
I would suggest you echo $sql to make sure it contains what you expect and/or proof read your code (you will find that your query is referencing the $_POST variable - gf_email_signup, which apparently contains "Yes" at the time of the query, when it should be using the $_POST variable - gf_email.)

mtd
07-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Thanks! I echoed mysql_num_rows and it was as it should be. Then, of course, I saw that in the query I had mixed up gf_email_signup with gf_email - good catch (obviously nobody's email address was going to equal 'Yes', as the query was erroneously set up to check)!!! And of course, I feel embarassed that it was something so simple, but thanks to both of you for your help. Sometimes it just takes an outside eye.

Cheers!
Matt

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum