View Full Version : web-safe fonts

canadianjameson
07-09-2007, 09:36 PM
I've been asked to use 'myriad' as my base font for a web page and i'm wondering whether this is possible / advisable.

any ideas?

twodayslate
07-09-2007, 10:01 PM
If the font you want to use is not web safe I would recommend to embed (http://www.netmechanic.com/news/vol3/css_no15.htm) it or make it an image.

canadianjameson
07-09-2007, 10:13 PM
perfect, now I know how to embed it... now all I have to do is download 'myriad' font. I can't seem to find a free version on google.

Does anybody have it? If so can you attach it / send me a link?

Cheers :)

canadianjameson
07-09-2007, 10:27 PM
actually i just found it

Cheers :)

p.s: are there any real downsides to embedding fonts?

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-09-2007, 10:32 PM
I know IE supports WEFT but I'm not sure if Firefox supports the pfr as suggested. I advise that you test what the tutorial tells you to do. Cross browser compatibility is likely going to be an issue.

canadianjameson
07-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Good point, I shall test them out. I'm weary of the tutorials because a bunch of the ones i've been through were written a while ago.

Right now I'm just trying to convert the attached font into .eot and .pfr so i can use a code like this:

<style type="text/css">
@font-face { font-family:Garamond; src:url(garamond.eot), url(garamond.pfr); }
</style>

(it was 10kb too large to attach so i uploaded it here: www.enviromark.ca/head/fonts/MyriadPro_Regular.otf

does the code above provide enough cross-browser compatibility or is there a chance that even with it provided in both formats it wont work?

canadianjameson
07-09-2007, 11:14 PM
WEFT is really giving me hell, lol... all I want to do is convert my otf font to both eot and pfr...

what other programs can I use?

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-10-2007, 12:06 AM
There is a chance even with both it won't work. Just try it. Does it work? If so then great! If not then find another solution. Look into sFIR.

Arbitrator
07-10-2007, 03:48 PM
does the code above provide enough cross-browser compatibility or is there a chance that even with it provided in both formats it wont work?According to Wikipedia [1], support for the *.pfr format and embedded fonts was discontinued in Netscape Navigator 6 and Mozilla (Firefox). Currently, the only major browser that supports embedded fonts is Internet Explorer.

At the moment, the most reliable CSS‐only solution is to specify the font-family property with fall‐back names.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Font_Resource

canadianjameson
07-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Thank you both, I will try all the options and I'll let you know how it goes. I'm still toying with WEFT because the stupid thing doesnt just let you convert a font, it wants you to build / publish the entire site through it before it lets you embed / convert

typical microsoft.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum