View Full Version : New era multi-touch technology

evo
07-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Let's hope this innovator becomes a worthy billionaire.

http://www.perceptivepixel.com/

More info at www.surface.com

Anti MS Spoof - as expected: http://youtube.com/watch?v=CZrr7AZ9nCY

I just keep thinking I want that screen though...

shirarae
07-08-2007, 10:19 AM
That is the coolest screen I've ever seen in my life.
Could you imagine if that became what replaced blackboards and smartboards one day!

VIPStephan
07-08-2007, 08:28 PM
I think it will become the replacement. Just the vision of this being happening and the serious research and development they seem to be doing pretty certainly makes it reality not too far from now.
How exciting. :) (and itís actually coming from Microsoft)

NancyJ
07-08-2007, 10:55 PM
http://blog.medallia.com/2007/06/dyesight.html

NancyJ
07-08-2007, 11:01 PM
I just keep thinking I want that screen though...

...I keep thinking I've got enough trouble keeping people's grubby, greasy, dirty little finger marks off my monitor without it being touch screen. Sure it looks shiny now, but you'll be forever cleaning it!

TheShaner
07-09-2007, 03:51 PM
http://blog.medallia.com/2007/06/dyesight.html
Put him on the MS team. Maybe he can lower the costs of what Surface will price at when its released! :eek: haha

...I keep thinking I've got enough trouble keeping people's grubby, greasy, dirty little finger marks off my monitor without it being touch screen. Sure it looks shiny now, but you'll be forever cleaning it!
I think the next product to be created will be a rain-repellent knockoff for human oils, haha. That or each screen will be shipped with nice little fingertip gloves. Soon, just as we see people walking around with earpieces forever glued to their head, we'll have everyone fashion-saavy with fingertip gloves. Since that will detract from our fingertips' ability to feel, they'll come out with electronic fingertip gloves that work with your nerve endings of your fingers to regain that loss of feeling due to these glovelets. Keeping with the trend, we won't need to create robots that look and act like humans when we're quickly attempting to look and act like robots ourselves! Wow, I am truly clairvoyant, lol :D

-Shane

oracleguy
07-09-2007, 04:33 PM

I've worked with lots of touch screens and the good ones at least, don't get as dirty as you think. Granted when the display is off and you look at it at an angle you can see fingerprints and such but when it is on, you don't see them at all.

Though for a standard workstation at a desk, having a touch screen isn't that useful. It actually feels very unnatural, when you already have you hands on the keyboard and/or mouse having to reach up to the screen.

VIPStephan
07-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Though for a standard workstation at a desk, having a touch screen isn't that useful. It actually feels very unnatural, when you already have you hands on the keyboard and/or mouse having to reach up to the screen.

Who said that it's limited to a desktop screen as we know it? You could have such a screen actually acting as keyboard and mouse together while staring at and interacting with your regular screen, and/or as addition to your regular screen to drop some stuff (i.e. to temporarily make room on your screen).

NancyJ
07-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Just because you cant see them doesnt mean they're not there... dirty... dirty...dirty

I hate finger marks on my shiny things, people just cant help but touch them :mad:

oracleguy
07-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Who said that it's limited to a desktop screen as we know it? You could have such a screen actually acting as keyboard and mouse together while staring at and interacting with your regular screen, and/or as addition to your regular screen to drop some stuff (i.e. to temporarily make room on your screen).

I wasn't implying that, I've actually used workstations where there was a 15" touch LCD to the left or right down at a lower level (in addition to one or more monitors on the desk) so you could just reach over and use them. And that is a very functional setup. Setups like you describe do have potential, I'm not disputing that or against it. I was referring to just picking up the monitor on your desk and plopping down a touch one.

croatiankid
07-10-2007, 09:58 PM
I actually don't like touch screens, mainly because of what NancyJ already said: they get dirty very quickly.

TheShaner
07-10-2007, 10:10 PM
I actually don't like touch screens, mainly because of what NancyJ already said: they get dirty very quickly.
So does my car but I sure as hell use it! :p haha

evo
07-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Just because you cant see them doesnt mean they're not there... dirty... dirty...dirty

I hate finger marks on my shiny things, people just cant help but touch them :mad:

The most annoying part of it is when you've kids around and they decide to touch it with chocolate fingers, encrusted with bits of crisps and salt...

*shudder*

deva.vvel
07-25-2007, 06:14 AM
the touch screen developed by perceptive pixel inc., its very nice and great.. the disadvantage with these touch screens would be that, the light rays from the screen will affect the eyes..

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum