View Full Version : My 1st & Second Design!

srule_
07-08-2007, 04:17 AM
Hey,

As the title says these are my first 2 designs, I'm still learning but please tell me your opinion on:

-Which design you think has more potential
-And any improvements u would make to either.

Design 1: http://webperfect.50webs.com/ (Just went for a basic 2 column layout)

Design 2: http://webperfect2.50webs.com/ (tried to be a bit more adventuris)

PS: my images in design2 are not well defined... anyone know why they look so bad? i used photoshops vector menu to make them.

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-08-2007, 06:48 AM
I like the first one better. It has that web 2.0 feel. The second one is okay but I think the graphics could be better. I see the jagged edges on the diagonal lines. I shouldn't be seeing those. I do like the header though with the check mark.

srule_
07-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks man,
Do you know how i can fix those ugly lines? i guess i should just search for a good photoshop tutorial on optimizing images?

croatiankid
07-08-2007, 07:19 PM
The first one is definitely better. I'm sorry, but the second one just doesn't appeal to me at all, so I'll comment the first one.

About the top link rollovers: I think the blue text (that comes on the mouse hover) doesn't have enough contrast against the gray background, so I think you should either darken it or lighten the blue (I'm not sure which would help, try a few shades darker and a few shades lighter and see which is easier to read/has more contrast).

I like the gray background on the left link rollovers, but I don't really like the sudden change from the dark red/black image to white. It's just a bit of a shock, even though the image is relatively small. I would probably change the image that you get when you hover over it, maybe with a shade of red, or even a light shade of grey (along with the arrow thingy).

Finally, I think your footer's top border is too thick. It just seems to obstruct the design too much (being a thick, dark red line in the middle of a white background).

Overall, I think you pretty much nailed "web 2.0 design" (as I call it) on the first layout.

ahallicks
07-10-2007, 02:03 PM
^ and to add to that I think, regarding the first design (I also preferred this) I think you should preload your images. I'm using a shared connection at work, so that left link in particular went from having a red square to nothing at first, which didn't look right. When the arrows did load it still wasn't quite there. Consider keeping the same small icons and just changing the background colour... or something similar

daemonkin
07-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Would you consider changing the navigation links to block level:

a {
display: block;
background-color: grey;
color: white;
}

Then you can set the hover:

a:hover {
background-color: red;
}

That way the rollovers will have the same background colours as the pages they link to. You can extend this to images as well.

Please note that i used the names of colours to identify them and do recommend using colour names.

Hope this makes sense.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum