PDA

View Full Version : Is javascript the right langauge for this?

inVINCEable
07-04-2007, 01:00 AM
I apologize, I am fairly new to javascript, just have some brief knowledge of using the jquery library.

What I want to do is create a button that changes state after a use has voted on it, if anyone is familiar with the website digg, then this is very much the case, I want to be able to change the button state to "voted" or something like that after a user has voted on that. Thanks for any advice pointers.

Also, I would like it to insert a value into a mysql db as well, I am using PHP too.

inVINCEable
07-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Please somebody has to know! :)

Philip M
07-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Not sure what you mean exactly by "change state" but if you mean change the value/and or color then here is an outline:-

<form action="http://yoururl.com/cgi-bin/............."
method="POST" name="Voting Form" onSubmit="return submitForm(this.Submitbutton)">

<div align="center"><center><font face="Arial"><input type="submit" name="Submitbutton" value="Vote By Clicking Here" style="font-size:'11pt'; font-weight:'700'; background-color:'#00CC33'; border-width:'3'; border-color: '#00CC33'"></font></center></div>

</form>

<script type = "text/javascript">
var sub = false;

function submitForm(s) { // when submit form button pressed
s.value = " You have voted ..... ";
if (sub) {return false} // sub = true so form already submitted
else { // if sub = false
sub = true; // set sub = true
return sub;
}
}
</script>

inVINCEable
07-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Not sure what you mean exactly by "change state" but if you mean change the value/and or color then here is an outline:-

<form action="http://yoururl.com/cgi-bin/............."
method="POST" name="Voting Form" onSubmit="return submitForm(this.Submitbutton)">

<div align="center"><center><font face="Arial"><input type="submit" name="Submitbutton" value="Vote By Clicking Here" style="font-size:'11pt'; font-weight:'700'; background-color:'#00CC33'; border-width:'3'; border-color: '#00CC33'"></font></center></div>

</form>

<script type = "text/javascript">
var sub = false;

function submitForm(s) { // when submit form button pressed
s.value = " You have voted ..... ";
if (sub) {return false} // sub = true so form already submitted
else { // if sub = false
sub = true; // set sub = true
return sub;
}
}
</script>

Ah! Thank you so much! I have looked into this and so far I have gotten the visual part right, but what about the backend? How can I use javascript to interact with my database? Or is this not possible ?

felgall
07-04-2007, 10:22 PM
You need to read up on 'Ajax' which is the way that JavaScript can call a server side script. That server side script can then do all the database accesses and return the result back to the JavaScript.