PDA

View Full Version : the future of python

velious
07-01-2007, 07:06 AM
This lang doesn't have its own space here on the forum, unlike PHP, PERL, and others. I was wondering if Python is a dead language...

also

when printing a list in python, is it possible to take off the brackets and quotes that get printed along with it?..

Thanks

ralph l mayo
07-01-2007, 09:41 AM
There's a sub-forum for it under "Other server-side languages"

It's not dead, either. Seems like it's getting a lot of mileage as research & educational tool, and as a replacement for Perl in shell scripts. It's also very fast under mod_python and getting some traction as a platform for desktop apps.

As for printing the list unadorned, it seems you can do something like

print ' '.join(['some', 'array', 'here']) # => some array here

(Making join a member of string and not of array is one of the myriad little things that make it extremely aggravating for me to use python)

ghostdog74
07-02-2007, 03:07 AM
This lang doesn't have its own space here on the forum, unlike PHP, PERL, and others. I was wondering if Python is a dead language...

also

when printing a list in python, is it possible to take off the brackets and quotes that get printed along with it?..

Thanks

the way to print a list is to go through them in a loop.eg

for item in theList:
print item

and also the join method. If you don't see much Python activities here, doesn't mean its the same elsewhere. you can check out comp.lang.python.