saeed
06-28-2007, 07:05 AM
hello,

can anyone define Web 2.0 PLEASE.

:confused:

Saeed.

_Aerospace_Eng_
06-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Just do an internet search. Its a broad term and it can be defined in many different ways.
What is Web 2.0? (http://www.google.com/search?q=What+is+Web+2.0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

mlseim
06-28-2007, 01:39 PM
It's not a thing ... it's more of a way of thinking.
User participation, exchange of ideas and information.
Plain, ugly websites seems to be something that came out of it ...
as being more interested in the content than the design.

It's like in the late 90's when cars became "Cars 2.0".
They all have the same body design (like Chicklets),
same colors, same style ... designed for function and economy.

Web 2.0, designed for function and economy.

kewlceo
06-28-2007, 01:45 PM
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD WEB 2.0//EN" http://www.w3.org/TR/web20/strict.dtd">

:D

danwmr
06-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Hi,

I find Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2) to be very useful when I find a term that I'm unfamiliar with. It's not definitive, but as a one-stop-shop, it's often useful just to get an idea of a subject without having to trawl through a plethora of search results.

D...

saeed
07-02-2007, 09:22 AM
well i tried to search it on google ... but image is still unclear to me .. :confused:

right now ... am assuming this like ISO kinda thingi... or XHTML type ... set of standards ... thing like tht ...

kindly share your views ...

Thanks,

peace-out !

kewlceo
07-02-2007, 07:07 PM
well i tried to search it on google ... but image is still unclear to me .. :confused:

right now ... am assuming this like ISO kinda thingi... or XHTML type ... set of standards ... thing like tht ...

kindly share your views ...

Thanks,

peace-out !

No, it's not a standard, it's more of a catch-phrase IMO.

croatiankid
07-03-2007, 08:11 PM
It's not a technology, or standard. It's an abstract set of ideas, that varies a lot from person to person. Some people say that it has nothing to do with design, only with functionality, while some people say that it has to do with both. As far as functionality goes, most people mean ease of usability, AJAX, user interactivity (user generated content) when saying "web 2.0". As far as design goes, most people (who consider it to be connected with design) mean the use of strong colors, large fonts, gradients, drop shadows, etcetera.

phantom007
01-21-2009, 12:34 PM
How would you judge whether a website is web 2.0 or not?

Common
01-21-2009, 12:50 PM
It's pretty clear when somethin could be classed as "Web 2.0". As people have already said, people's views change, but for me it's always been about a much more fluid browsing experience. More like using an actual program on a computer rather than just loading in blocks of data at each refresh.

I would say the new Facebook layout is a good example of Web 2.0, leaving comments etc is dynamic, you add and remove things from your wall without any refreshing etc. Also, Adobe made a web based version of photoshop which has very limited features but still, it does it all "on the fly" so to speak.

VIPStephan
01-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Wordpress is Web 2.0
Wikipedia is Web 2.0
YouTube is Web 2.0
Facebook is Web 2.0
jQuery/mootools/prototype are Web 2.0

And although it doesn’t look like it MySpace is considered one of the roots of Web 2.0 because it changed the way people used the internet to that day.

gnomeontherun
01-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Web 2.0 is nothing. People get all wrapped up in it and want it, but its just a ghost. Everyone has a unique idea what it is, even though there are a few foundational concepts which most people agree upon. I honestly hate the term, and don't want to hear web 3.0, even though talk of that is rising.

I think the hype behind it all is evidenced by VIPStephans post: it largely has to do with making it easier (both functionally, technologically) for people to connect and removing the clunk of turn of the millenium designs. Its nothing new, its just an improved sense of awareness of the tools at hand.

There are some graphical elements, such as 'web 2.0 buttons' but those are just fads. What is not a fad, and what I think is important, is that usability and functionality has come to the forefront of web development. The appearance of sites has been often viewed as central to the 'web 2.0' drive, but its not. I hate it when I see blog posts about '25 Web 2.0 designs you don't want to miss' because in 2 years they will look silly. However the features they add with javascript and smarter design will last and these are the things we should put into our designs.

Samhain13
01-21-2009, 03:32 PM
How would you judge whether a website is web 2.0 or not?

Web 1.0 = contents are made by the creator-maintainer of the website; allows for very little visitor participation or outside intervention.

Web 2.0 = 1.0 + contents posted by visitors or sourced from other sites through feeds and such. In other words, 2.0 site contents are more dynamic than 1.0.

But... ---[insert what jeremywilken said here]--- :thumbsup:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum