View Full Version : Banned For Racist Jokes

kosstr12
06-26-2007, 04:13 AM
Can I get Banned for posting racist jokes?

aimerzz4
06-26-2007, 04:24 AM
I don't think that'd be a good idea to do. :roll: :roll: They're not funny either way.

WA
06-26-2007, 04:25 AM
Errr yes, so please don't do it. :)

kosstr12
06-26-2007, 05:05 AM
dang, i was gunna have sum fun =D

evo
06-26-2007, 09:02 AM
You'd heavily and distastingly offend the users who may reside from the ethnic background you may be laying into won't go down well with them and most of the others who are culturally open-minded in this forum too.

dutycalls5609b
06-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Gosh, I hate political correctness...

rafiki
06-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Any one heard of Roy Chubby Brown, or Jim Davidson, they throw some race jokes into there performances, but they do state they are only jokes, not a personal view, there jobis humour and if the humour is taking the mickey out of someones race they'll use it, doesnt make them racist.

Bill Posters
06-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Any one heard of Roy Chubby Brown, or Jim Davidson, they throw some race jokes into there performances, but they do state they are only jokes, not a personal view, there jobis humour and if the humour is taking the mickey out of someones race they'll use it, doesnt make them racist.
Ergo, telling jokes doesn't make them funny.

rafiki
06-26-2007, 06:32 PM
OK.. what im trying to say is, why do people take jokes so seriously, people laught at the punchline not the ethnic group the joke is aimmed at, calling some one who is a different race something that refers to them as being different. that is racist, or discrimonating.. theres a huge difference in my opinion,

_Aerospace_Eng_
06-26-2007, 06:43 PM
OK.. what im trying to say is, why do people take jokes so seriously, people laught at the punchline not the ethnic group the joke is aimmed at, calling some one who is a different race something that refers to them as being different. that is racist, or discrimonating.. theres a huge difference in my opinion,

It doesn't matter. Its stereotyping most of the time therefore can be offensive. Lets just drop the subject, I'm already getting mad just the fact that this subject was brought up.

Bill Posters
06-26-2007, 06:44 PM

The foundation of ethnic jokes is typically mocking the things which make them different (or which other ethnic groups consider makes them different), often belittling them and perpetuating the stereotype.

Fwiw, I hate political correctness with a vengeance and consider that no group is above criticism. No-one should be afraid to speak their minds about their own and other groups, but there is a difference between honest criticism and bigoted mockery.
Manning, Brown et al make (or made in the case of Manning) their money doing the latter, imho.

whizard
06-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Since this is a CODINGforum, lets stick to coding, and leave the jokes, racial or otherwise, to
Roy Chubby Brown, or Jim Davidson

Dan

rafiki
06-26-2007, 10:31 PM
It doesn't matter. Its stereotyping most of the time therefore can be offensive. Lets just drop the subject, I'm already getting mad just the fact that this subject was brought up. Aero sorry your getting mad, and sorry if its to do with anything i said, but i was trying to make the point that, if someone african / carribean / asian / other was to make a joke about me being white, or something that some other white guy did. i would not take it offensive, where if they was talking aggressive or seriously then i would take offence, just my view not saying everyone has to see it that way

VIPStephan
06-27-2007, 02:31 AM
Id also consider myself culturally open minded, yet Im always open for some intelligent (if one may call it like that) jokes making fun of racial differences. For example Im a big fan of Dave Chappelle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chappelle%27s_Show), and I also cant understand that people take such things so seriously. One should note that there is a difference in deliberately insulting people and making fun of idiosyncrasies. People feeling offended by every little joke should really get some sort of therapy and learn to laugh about themselves at times.

kosstr12
06-27-2007, 03:17 AM
omg... people left bad reputations on my account for making this thread....

Bill Posters
06-27-2007, 06:52 AM
Dave Chappelle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chappelle%27s_Show)

I've only seen a couple of the Charlie Murphy skits (the ones where he retells the times that he met Prince and Rick James), but I laughed until it hurt.
I keep meaning to track down more of those sketches. Some of the funniest stuff I've seen in a while.

kaitco
06-27-2007, 02:29 PM
I've only seen a couple of the Charlie Murphy skits (the ones where he retells the times that he met Prince and Rick James), but I laughed until it hurt.
I keep meaning to track down more of those sketches. Some of the funniest stuff I've seen in a while.
And, the thing about someone like Chappelle is that he is a comedian and there is some leeway given to them. I love Chappelle for making skits like "The Black-White Supremacist" or "The Racial Draft," just like I love comics like Dane Cook telling jokes about how black guys run and Carlos Menica for joking about how Asians drive. What is important is that these are public figures just saying things to make people laugh. A random guy on a forum making jokes about specific people is something completely different. Tone is extremely necessary to bring home any punchline and obviously, it is impossible to tell someone's tone on the Internet.

I am sorry that happened, but at least now you can see how racial jokes affect people. The mere mention of something like that can inflame anyone's senses because this forum is made up of people from various backgrounds and ethnicities. To avoid any future catastrophes, I would PM a moderator so that something like this is kept in the dark. It was kind of small and ignorant of you to even think that posting racists jokes would be tolerated, but I suppose we can all be grateful that you had the mind to ask first instead of just posting them...

Karen S. Garvin
06-27-2007, 04:13 PM
People feeling offended by every little joke should really get some sort of therapy and learn to laugh about themselves at times.

I agree, Stephan, but the issue is so politically charged that it's like playing with dynamite. You will be hurt by it. We're safest not even going down that road...

kosstr12
06-27-2007, 04:30 PM
I got another BAD reputation for saying:

TheShaner
06-27-2007, 08:43 PM
kosstr12, don't even worry about it. Honestly, reputation points on some internet coding site means absolutely nothing. Don't sweat very insignificant stuff like this :thumbsup:

Anyway, I would imagine there's really no reason to keep this topic going and probably should be closed by a Mod.

-Shane

Mhtml
06-29-2007, 01:16 AM
Gosh, I hate political correctness...It's nothing to do with political correctness - it's all to do with respect and equality. Telling a joke about an individual is one thing, but applying a stereotype infers that particular qualities are inherit across the entire subject race and that none of those people are individual in their own right and capable of acting any different (in regards to stereotypical observations of actions) - so you're denying such people a basic civil liberty to be themselves. You may not think it causes any harm, but acceptance of this way of thinking manifests itself further into your actions and prejudices than you would possibly think. You are constantly elating yourself, your race as more acceptable. It's not political correctness as much as it is human decency. I would suppose you are the type who practice liberal tolerance as well?

Karen S. Garvin
06-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Anyway, I would imagine there's really no reason to keep this topic going and probably should be closed by a Mod.

It is off-topic, but it's interesting and educational to read people's reactions and their reasoning. As long as it doesn't develop into a flame war, I think the topic should be discussed since it was brought up. We shouldn't run away from controversial subjects; that's why so many problems never get solved. The paper-bag-over-the-head approach doesn't work.

But I do agree with an earlier post: kosstr12 asked whether it was appropriate to post such jokes, instead of just posting them. This shows that he at least thought about it and was concerned enough not to give offense. I don't think it was really necessary to give him bad rep points for this, since he's subsequently been told often enough in this thread that racist/ethnic jokes aren't welcome.

Still interesting to read people's posts. :)

kosstr12
06-29-2007, 07:07 PM
hah! I actually started a civilized discussion

deva.vvel
07-16-2007, 06:26 AM
whether you are going to get banned or not is a second issue, but do not post racist jokes, since it hurt many people and there is a chance that you are implanting a feeling of hatred in some people's heart against some people.. and thats not good for the human kind..

croatiankid
07-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Good call from the sig spammer. Can we please close this thread?

Karen S. Garvin
07-20-2007, 06:23 PM
I believe you can, all may. Because we have a common ideology, I also hate those racist people. But this is not a day that can be solved, we need to go through a long process. Hope that the government can strengthen in the national education. There is no attention to the race, and world peace will be increased again. Join us for this effort!

What?

nojtb
08-06-2007, 03:46 AM
i have to agree with whizard. the people making racist jokes even though they no and we know its a joke and they dont mean anything near it are on the comdie channel...
there shouldent even be a sort of a fight about this. the forum has nothing to do with jokes its a coding forum.

Bill Posters
08-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Isn't it time this thread was locked?
The slow trickle of comments and the discussion of the topic in general aren't really adding anything worthwhile to the forum.

imho.

rock_14
08-08-2007, 04:11 AM
Gosh, I hate political correctness...

Me too.

rock_14
08-08-2007, 04:17 AM
It's nothing to do with political correctness - it's all to do with respect and equality. Telling a joke about an individual is one thing, but applying a stereotype infers that particular qualities are inherit across the entire subject race and that none of those people are individual in their own right and capable of acting any different (in regards to stereotypical observations of actions) - so you're denying such people a basic civil liberty to be themselves. You may not think it causes any harm, but acceptance of this way of thinking manifests itself further into your actions and prejudices than you would possibly think. You are constantly elating yourself, your race as more acceptable. It's not political correctness as much as it is human decency. I would suppose you are the type who practice liberal tolerance as well?

What do you think about valuing quality over equality? Is that racist?

ArcticFox
08-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Where is page three?

ArcticFox
08-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Ah, here it is.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum