View Full Version : Designing for IE 6 and up... safe?

jshl_wiz
06-24-2007, 12:15 AM
I am building a new website, and I am thinking about building it for IE 6 and FF 2.0 and up. I know it sounds risky, but according to my site's statistics, only two people have used Internet 5.5 in the past YEAR. So do you personally think it's wise to forget about older versions and only focus on version 6 which is what most of my visitors have?

_Aerospace_Eng_
06-24-2007, 12:51 AM
I'll admit I don't test my sites much in IE5.5 unless the client needs the site to work there in which case its quite simple to make site look the same as in IE6 if you use conditional comments (http://quirksmode.org/css/condcom.html).

felgall
06-24-2007, 02:04 AM
Design for standard compliant browsers and then patch for the IE versions that the client needs to have supported.

jshl_wiz
06-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks for all of your replies. I think I will do IE6 and up, and just hope that IE5.5 will work on it.

_Aerospace_Eng_
06-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Thanks for all of your replies. I think I will do IE6 and up, and just hope that IE5.5 will work on it.

You know you can get a standalone of IE5.5 right?

croatiankid
06-25-2007, 08:44 PM
I would still make sure the site is useable in 5.5. It doesnt have to look pretty, but all the content should still be viewable clearly. My answer is purely of a question about accessibility, not design or aesthetics for the older browsers.

oracleguy
06-25-2007, 09:12 PM
Unless there was a specific reason, I don't do support for IE5.5, I haven't done it in a couple years. Considering version 6 came out almost 6 years ago, I think it is fairly safe to expect people to have upgraded.

Graft-Creative
06-26-2007, 12:14 AM
I would still make sure the site is useable in 5.5. It doesnt have to look pretty, but all the content should still be viewable clearly. My answer is purely of a question about accessibility, not design or aesthetics for the older browsers.

I would second that - exactly my approach.

Gary

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum