View Full Version : Very Simple HTML question

briintex1
06-02-2007, 05:39 AM
I have a question about links...and how come mine are not working.

Basically what I am doing is making a table.

</table>
<table width="100%" align="center">
<tr>
<td><a href="#">HOME</a></td>

<td><a href="\why_Title.htm">Why Title Insurance</a></td>

<td><a href="#">Real Estate Dictionary</a></td>
<td><a href="#">Mortgage Calculator</a></td>
<td><a href="#">Premiums</a></td>
<td><a href="#">Meet the Staff</a></td>
<td><a href="#">Contact Us</a></td>
</tr></table>

The items that are currenltly in bold is my table. I am having trouble with the second row...Why Title Insurance? Well the way I have this link set up it takes me to a page that it says it not there. I want it to basically take over the page for now. Is there something that I am missing on this page? I know it is simple but I don't know what I am doing wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated.

koyama
06-02-2007, 05:57 AM
I am having trouble with the second row...Why Title Insurance? Well the way I have this link set up it takes me to a page that it says it not there. I want it to basically take over the page for now. Is there something that I am missing on this page?
Well it depends on where why_Title.htm is located.

This may be working if it is in the same directory:

<a href="why_Title.htm">Why Title Insurance</a>

This may be working if it is in the web root:

<a href="/why_Title.htm">Why Title Insurance</a>

This always works:

<a href="http://www.somedomian.com/somedir/why_Title.htm">Why Title Insurance</a>

sdcomputerz
06-02-2007, 06:02 AM
Is there a reason you have a backslash instead of a forward slash?

briintex1
06-02-2007, 06:12 AM
That was it...I needed to switch my slashes. I am going to look at the other suggestions. Thanks for the help ya'll.

kosstr12
06-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Well, if you are linking to positions on the same page, then you need to declare what parts of the page you are linking to like this:

<html>
<head>
<title>Welcome to my page</title>
</head>
<body>
<a href="#hello">Hello link text</a>
<a href="#goodbye">goodbye link text</a>
<a name="hello">
<p>Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello.</p></a>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<a name="goodbye">
<p>Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye.</p></a>
</body>
</html>

whizard
06-02-2007, 03:52 PM
I don't think he is linking to different sections of his site... He's using # as a NULL link until he makes the page that the link points to.

Also, in XHTML, the 'name' attribute was replaced with the 'id' attribute, although in HTML 4.01 you should still use 'name'.

Dan

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum