View Full Version : Lots of HTML between if and else

05-29-2007, 02:19 AM
I would like to place a lot of HTML between the if and the else in php. But if I close the php tag doesn't that kill the if/else?

<?php if (thisCondition){
//many lines of HTML without using echo
//many other lines of HTML

If I put the closing php tag after my lines of html they will generate an error (of course). But if I place the php close tag before the HTML then the else won't be seen. How should I handle this? Lots of "echos" or print?

05-29-2007, 02:25 AM
doesn't that kill the if/else?No. Just put a closing php tag, put your "if" HTML, put an opening php tag, put the } else {, put a closing php tag, put your "else" HTML, put an opening php tag, and put the final }.

Short answer - the opening and closing php tags just enter and exit PHP "mode."

05-29-2007, 02:34 AM
//visual representation to what CFMaBiSmAd said
if(this is true) {
<div>Do your true html</div>
} else {
<div>Do your other html</div>

05-29-2007, 02:35 AM
Reinforcing the good answers above, here's a helpful link:

05-29-2007, 08:23 PM
GREAT! I was not thinking clearly. When I used the close tag I had to know that the php didn't get killed, I have variables that are used in other places! Thanks guys.

05-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Don't forget about PHP "includes" ...

All of that HTML could be brought in with an include from another
site, page, text file, etc. Perhaps that HTML changes dynamically?

just a thought.

05-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Thanks. I was thinking I would have to resort to an include as I do my leftbar and footer. But this is just a case of "If the user has done this then show that otherwise show this."

Now if I can write a simple if correctly all should be well. Nothing like learning from scratch! IMO this is not like ASP at all.