View Full Version : Are Table Not Professional?

gobbly2100
05-24-2007, 03:14 AM
Just a question,

If you were to go to a web company to get a website built and the website was built using HTML tables would that be considered unprofessional?

VIPStephan
05-24-2007, 03:20 AM
Yes (http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollard/FGA/questions-with-yes-or-no-answers.html)...

sandman
05-24-2007, 04:56 AM
Not at all. Tables have their place, but not in the layout of your design.

kewlceo
05-24-2007, 05:06 AM
Just a question,

If you were to go to a web company to get a website built and the website was built using HTML tables would that be considered unprofessional?

Your question suggests that the designer would use tables to build the site structurally, which would indeed be unprofessional nowadays. Tables are to present tabular data, not to structure an entire page or site.

CSS is easier, cleaner, and enables search robots to do their job more efficiently, too.

jream
05-24-2007, 05:06 AM
If I went to them I would think tables were unnecessary and a cheap quick way to do things, I wouldn't be too happy about it -- but it depends on how much they cost.

To me its kind of like getting an offbrand Coke instead of the real thing when they make table layouts.

felgall
05-24-2007, 08:29 AM
Get them to create a layout where elements need to overlap. Then they will not be able to use a table.

RandomCoder
05-24-2007, 10:26 PM
If I went to them I would think tables were unnecessary and a cheap quick way to do things, I wouldn't be too happy about it -- but it depends on how much they cost.

To me its kind of like getting an offbrand Coke instead of the real thing when they make table layouts.

what?

felgall
05-25-2007, 01:01 AM
Tables are a way of producing a simple layout that will work in a web browser but will not work correctly in any of the other places that web pages are accessed from such as handheld devices and web readers. Tables also can't handle more complex designs.

A table is a valid way of adding tabular data to a web page. You should expect to have <caption> <thead> and <tbody> tags at least if using a table correctly and possibly <<tfoot>, col> and/or <colgroup> as well. Incorrectly used tables almost never reference any of these tags. At least one <tbody> is mandatory for any table but browsers will add the tag themselves if it is missing (which confuses some people who wonder why references to the table from stylesheets and JavaScript don't work as expected).

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum